Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is The Season Slow This Year?  (Read 3954 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
Is The Season Slow This Year?
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »
I was wondering how all you other guys are doing this year, seems pretty slow here, had plenty of flower but very little honey, im wondering if the weather is messing it up?  At leaast we still have summer but i thought i might see something by now.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Is The Season Slow This Year?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »
That depends where here is, your location is undefined. In NE Melbourne we are going great guns, I've pulled 50kg betweeen 2 hives and I could probably have taken more if I had the time. Spoke to another local beek who has 20 hives locally and he reckons it's one of his top 3 years.

Offline Monster1970

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:13 pm »
Same here in Northern Brisbane.... my hives are streaming the honey in! Really happy with the way this season is running so far.
We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:25 am »
That depends where here is, your location is undefined. In NE Melbourne we are going great guns, I've pulled 50kg betweeen 2 hives and I could probably have taken more if I had the time. Spoke to another local beek who has 20 hives locally and he reckons it's one of his top 3 years.

Must be in a bad area, im near Kilmore

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »
I'm in the same boat Rawfind, my hives are located on the west edge of the Otways and things seem to be fairly slow here as well. This is my first year so I don't have anything to judge it by but we are still getting a lot of rain and cool days so I am hoping that our season is a bit later than everyone else's and things will kick off in the next month or so.
Cheers.
Paul.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:31:45 am »
G'day Rawfind,

The first time since I've had bees I see some flowers on some of the ironbarks, and we could extract 10 frames today.  That is terrific for this grey country here.  I went through Kilmore and much of Victoria last week and it is sparkling green as an emerald all over, but in North Queensland the grass has gone far beyond dry yellow, brown, and is now pale grey.  If we have another big wet, this might be it for another year or so!  Never know-the exciting part of beekeeping here is its randomness.   
Lone

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:07:01 pm »
G'day Rawfind,

If we have another big wet, this might be it for another year or so!  Never know-the exciting part of beekeeping here is its randomness.   
Lone

Weve had plenty of rain here too, got thousands of these long green bugs i think they are stink bugs , they are all over the blossom
on the trees maybe they are competing with the bees?   Ill have to spread my hives out between other locations  i guess

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:35:37 pm »
Flows aplenty around Maryborough and Avoca and starving around Enfield, Dereel and Napoleons. Weather over this part of Vic has been on and off so flora has been acting the same.

anything