Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: External signs of SHBs?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
External signs of SHBs?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:51:17 pm »
Other than the hive smelling ruined, is there any external signs of a small hive beetle problem? As much as I would love to go in, I'm trying to stay out of the hive as much as possible. I usually see two or three SHBs in the afternoon trying to fly in the hive. I was wondering say, if I had a hundred SHBs in the hive would there be a flow of them coming in and out somewhat like the bees? My beetle barns and SHB trap came in today and I plan to deploy them in the next day or two.

What kind of poison would be best to use in the barns? I have seen the beetles on the inner cover more than anywhere else so that's where I plan to put the barns.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: External signs of SHBs?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »
No you will not see them coming in and out like bees. Their forage is your hive :-x If shb the bees will eventually abscond.

Just pop the top and there will be no doubt.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:03:44 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:15 pm »
One of the problems with beetle barns is that the beetles can crawl in and out. Do not put any poison in the traps. It will be tracked into the hive. Put a little bit of apple cider and a little bit of vegetable oil in it.
The biggest concern that I would have for your hive is, how strong is it? Is it full of bees? Is there more drawn frames than the bees can cover? If it is a strong hives for the amount of space it has, it will be fine.

Have you thought about using a screen bottom board with a oil tray? They kill thousands of SHBs every month.

Most of the time, beetles do not come out of the hive. Once they are in the hive, they hide in cracks, and trick the bees into feeding them. They are waiting for the bees to bee weakened and then they will take over.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »
sc-bee; I see beetles and goo, right? So my guess would be the physical presence and the damage. So pretty much I would need to inspect the hive for the physical presence and remove any damaged areas. What would be a safe time frame to inspect? Remember new hive of package bees.

Jim; My hive isn't a strong hive. Only about 4 to 5 weeks on. She's a-growing tho! I'm trying to practice preventive medicine. I opened my beetle trap I ordered this afternoon and I was sent the wrong size. This has to be a 10 frame and I have an 8 frame. Same folks I ordered all my start up equipment from. I suggested they send me another one at their expense. Round trip for me to a UPS store is apx 70 miles.

I also just got the beetle barns in. Tell me if I'm in error. I plan to mix in a paste Crisco grease and boric acid, place it in the barns, and then place them on the top side of the inner cover. In addition I will get me a beetle trap some dang where!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:41 pm »
New package on foundation, check every 2 weeks.

Nuc or package on drawn comb, check every 5 to 7 days until comfortable waiting longer.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 10:57:43 pm »
I apologize gsf. I got your post confused with the orange liquid thread. By orange liquid time it is too late. No there are not too many external hints until too late. External hints: bees will begin to remove brood trying to clean hives of beetle eggs etc., the bees will begin to beard on the outside of hive as it collapses and then they will abscond.

The signs you will be looking for have been mentioned before and are internal. Ask again please if you can not find them.

I believe the beetle barn has one reservoir. If one use FGMO it will not rancid like vegetable oil in heat. More than one reservoir put the apple cider vinegar in one. Location of the trap is tricky. Needs to be on top of brood box in a location where bees coral beetle I have found it to be better to Cover the top of the trap with a small piece of linoleum or similar. Just enough to cover the top of the trap. It makes the beetles think they are running under the linoleum to hide. Beetle barn type traps will not urn a hive around they will just help control populations as you go.

If you are seeing just a few beetles corralled at the top of the hive in corners etc and not wandering the combs below don't bother. You are going to see a few. Just keep hive strong and in the sun.

John 3:16

anything