Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Unexpectingly came into bees and built TBH's for them  (Read 2601 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Unexpectingly came into bees and built TBH's for them
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »
I have unexpectingly come into bees. I picked up two packages today. This is my first year bee keeping and I have 4 Langstroth hives. I started in April w/2 but knew pretty quickly that I'm going to stick with this hobby, so I ordered two more packages but was then notified that they probably will not come in. Disappointed, I called around and was able to order from another local person. I then called the first place and cancelled my order (Saturday, 2 weeks before the others "would" have come in and also the same day I picked up my bees from the other breeder). Anyway, much to my amazement, the first company called yesterday and said my bees were in! Apparantely things happened so quickly and they had to go pickup the bees right away, so they did not get around to cancelling orders. They said I could turn them down and they understand fully but I can't turn down bees :-D

Anyway, after putting in my 4th Langstroth hive I began reading about TBH's and figured I would give them a try next season, however, with the 2 unexpected packages, I got to work right away building two TBH's. I picked up my bees today (was notified yesterday they were avail) and got one of the hives completed in time to install one package. The other hive is 90% done but we just ran out of time.

So... I did a few things in a hurry. The major one that concerns me is the top bars. I am reading all sorts of conflicting reports about what to do and what not to do. There are two things I am concerned about with them and I am hoping for some input. Between my two false backs, I placed 8 bars, so I have only added guides to those 8 bars, the others are undecorated right now in hopes of getting some input. So, the concerns:

1. All of them are 1 1/2". I read where brood is 1 3/8" and honey 1 1/2". Does 1/8" really make that much difference? Why not just use all 1 1/2"? What will the outcome of this be?

2. My "guides", due to not having wax on hand nor the time to wait for glue to dry, are simply 1/4"x1/4" square pieces of wood tacked to the bars. The bars are 17" long and the guides are 9" long centered on the bar.

Any advise on either or both of these?

Thanks!
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Re: Unexpectingly came into bees and built TBH's for them
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05:06 am »
1. All of them are 1 1/2". I read where brood is 1 3/8" and honey 1 1/2". Does 1/8" really make that much difference? Why not just use all 1 1/2"? What will the outcome of this be?

2. My "guides", due to not having wax on hand nor the time to wait for glue to dry, are simply 1/4"x1/4" square pieces of wood tacked to the bars. The bars are 17" long and the guides are 9" long centered on the bar.

Any advise on either or both of these?

Thanks!

1. Put the 1.5" in and run with it. You only have 8 bars at risk, if these bees are determined to screw it up, they'll let you know.
2. Guides without wax should work, expect to help them out with the odd correction each visit.

Remember, these are bees, they'll find something that works. Its not like a Microsoft product that instantly crashes if it doesn't find what it expects.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

anything