0 (0%)
Some other race
4 (2.1%)
Male
78 (41.1%)
Female
7 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Beekeeper by race  (Read 7062 times)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
Re: Beekeeper by race
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:37:03 pm »
To put this poll into context, we should consider where the people on the forum are from.  For example, we all talk about Kenyan and Tanzanian Top Bar Hives.  I would guess that in Kenya and Tanzania, black beekeepers are fairly common, whereas I would not expect to see many in say Norway.  :)

I have a friend from Zimbabwe who did some work for the UN for a while.  When Obama won in the States, she was with a bunch of her black American friends, who got really excited about the win.  Her response I thought was bang on - "Why are you so excited about a black president?!?  I see them all the time."

Grid.

I do believe that the whole purpose of the poll, is to see what the membership of the forum is.  We do have members from all over the world, and this is good. The more interaction between citezens all over the world is very good for world peace.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline brer

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 08:18:59 pm »
I think the original poster did have a decent idea, just to get a grip on demographics, but it does have the problem of bringing politics and race relations into the forum.

Hey, I like this place.  I've already gone through about 80 pages of threads on general beekeeping and am picking up scads of knowledge for when I start my hives.

I would not like to leave this forum if it becomes political.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »

i don't see any problem with any of the posts here.  we have a place for politics.  most of the time we are pretty good about keeping it separate from the beekeeping.  talking about race and occupation, IMHO, is not political.  twitchy people might feel otherwise, but they are free to skip this particular post.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 09:18:27 pm »
I agree with Kathy. This media works the same as a TV; if you don't like a program/thread then turn it off or change channels, IOW don't read it. This thread doesn't appear to me to be political in any way. People are different, races are different! So we can't talk about the melting pot makeup of the forum? GMAB!

Offline brer

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »
Kathyp, I hope that I am not acting twitchy, nor overly sensitive.

I've been on quite a few hobbyist forums over the years.  Generally, as a rule, they start to go downhill quick just as soon as they start allowing threads, that while applicable, have the ability to detract from the forums primary purpose.  Everyone has their own views about race, politics, religion,and quite a few other things that people have strong emotions about.  While often entertaining in their own right, they tend to subtract and distract from the stated purpose of a forum and set it on new tangents.

This is likely one of the threads that the mods should monitor closely.  Let it exist, but be ready to shut it down quick if it goes south. Besides, I still have two hundred something pages of threads to read through in general beekeeping :).  

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
Kathyp, I hope that I am not acting twitchy, nor overly sensitive.

I've been on quite a few hobbyist forums over the years.  Generally, as a rule, they start to go downhill quick just as soon as they start allowing threads, that while applicable, have the ability to detract from the forums primary purpose.  Everyone has their own views about race, politics, religion,and quite a few other things that people have strong emotions about.  While often entertaining in their own right, they tend to subtract and distract from the stated purpose of a forum and set it on new tangents.

This is likely one of the threads that the mods should monitor closely.  Let it exist, but be ready to shut it down quick if it goes south. Besides, I still have two hundred something pages of threads to read through in general beekeeping :).  
That's why I put a disclaimer. People need not post if they want to start controversy.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 11:12:03 pm »
Well How about this Native Alaskan/ white guy beek thats me :-D I think its interesting poll. All my life I loved playing with insects now I get to have real fun with it. This is a hobby that any one can do any race, rich or poor, young or old male or female. To me I have meet some of the most awsome nice gentel people in all the world who keep bees :-D
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 11:45:16 pm »
I hope I didn't stir things up.  Not my intention.  I was just adding my $0.02.   :-X  

I am a white Canadian born in Montreal who lived in Botswana Africa for 8 years during my youth.  Interestingly, it took until now, almost 30 years later, to find out that in Botswana they keep bees in TBH's they call "Honey Cows".  Traditionally, cattle equals wealth.  So culturally the bee hives were the beekeepers' wealth, their cows.  Plus, with four legs and a body already, add a head and a tail in your mind's eye, and they look a bit like cows.  :)

My first exposure to beekeeping was in Botswana.  An Indian friend of mine (from India) found a hive in the ground.  We smoked it with burned dung (his idea) fanned into the hole with sheets of cardboard.  We dug it out, found the queen, put her in a match box with holes, put that in a cardboard box along with all the comb, and waited 30 minutes until most of the bees were in the box.  Still a lot flying around though.  Then we walked it home - a swarm with two kids at its heart.  Hehe!  The looks we got!  As I recall he kept them in that cardboard box for the first year - tied the comb onto square sticks, and turned it into a mini TBH.

I'm guessing there must be at least two different types of bees there.  Not sure, but we dug out those bees and he kept them no problem.  That doesn't sound like our friends the Africanized Honey Bees. a year or so later, though, some kids at a nearby village saw some bees going in and out of a small hole in a tree and threw some rocks at it.  Apparently the tree was hollow, and rather full. The bees boiled out of the tree and attacked the kids and whatever else was nearby.  Adults pulled the kids to safety, and after a hospital stay they recovered.  A donkey tied nearby was killed.  I'm thinking either my friend was more knowledgeable than I gave him credit for, or else we just got lucky.

Anyhow, that might explain why I just got into beekeeping two years ago.  :)

Cheers all.
Grid.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:57:46 pm by Grid »

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 01:20:28 am »
I think the original poster did have a decent idea, just to get a grip on demographics, but it does have the problem of bringing politics and race relations into the forum.

Hey, I like this place.  I've already gone through about 80 pages of threads on general beekeeping and am picking up scads of knowledge for when I start my hives.

I would suggest that (even though this forum isn't for that) that the best way to improve 'race relations' would be to speak with honesty and respect about 'race issues' (I do think America has some kind of race-wierdness going on but only because people keep ripping the wounds open)
be happy and make others happy.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 02:26:49 am »
Well, I'm all mixed up as are most of us, but my culture and my religion are American Indian.  I'm surprised to see so many Native Americans in the count but I do meet a few in beekeeping. 

I think people have gotten too sensitive about "race".  If you mean something respectfully, it should be taken that way.  If you don't seem to mean it respectfully, it should be ignored as being ignorant and not worthy of comment.  Everyone taking up offense for everyone else just makes for more offended people...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 02:47:27 am »
Howd all i am of the black race and i have indian in me also an do no find this post bad i think it is good i did find ou that alot of people do get a bit touchy about the race thing but we are only human. I joined a cub in another county  and boy the looks i got when i walked in it was kind os nerve racking but i went to a couple of meetings  but then the old word came out o some of the older guys and it hurt m feelings so i left. They would send e-mails and flyers to all members but not me so i started my own bee association formy county and had a great tun out. I am not mad with this club and alot o thier members come to my club meetings  it's life i love bees and and thats what we are on this forum for we love doing this.

THOMAS

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:19 pm »
there ya go  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 09:09:59 pm »
This is interesting to say the least...
But, all that comes to mind is that movie with Dakota Fanning in it.."The secret life of bees"...Yall remember that?...and the two sisters what kept the bees were black women.( actually, there were 3 sisters)
That was a good movie!

your friend,
john