Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beginner ... maybe  (Read 3728 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Beginner ... maybe
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:49 am »
Hi,  Live in Washougal WA, have developed interest in beekeeping.  Am retired.  Other interests....Golf, RC airplanes and helicopters, gardening.  My interest developed this summer as for the first time ever, I failed on zucchini squash.  Never saw a bee one.  Now with some (book) education my appetite is whet.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Beginner ... maybe
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:40 am »
be very careful jack, bees are very addicting.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a good place to learn more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page.

I also encourage you to get involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers.
http://www.wasba.org/local.htm

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:07:07 pm »
Hi and welcome!

I had a similar experience  - for me it was a cherry trees that would blossom hugely, but barely get cherries.  The next year after I got my hive,  had limbs breaking left and right from so many cherries.  I've only got 1/2 of a tree left out of the 2, since most of the limbs broke off :'( (they were old diseased fragile trees).

Zucchini are typically not dependent on honeybees.  I see a lot of orchard bees in them.  My problem with zucchini are the vine borers - I can usually win against them, but the vines definately take a hit!  But don't let that dissuade you from honeybees, they are awesome!!

Rick
Rick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »
lots of us in the PNW.  you should have no problem finding a club.  Ruhl beekeeping supplies has some classes and you can order packages through them if you wish.  remember to get your order in, wherever you order, by January or February.  check around and find out who has what, and when.

i get a lot of swarm calls from your side of the river.  if you decide you like beekeeping, let me know.  i'd be happy to refer some of those calls to you.  usually to far for me to go.

http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/

also check out list here on what to buy and what to skip.  check out Mann Lake beekeeping as they usually have the cheapest shipping to our area, and sometimes offer free shipping.  they are online and will also send you a catalog.  it's not as overwhelming as it might seem.  KISS  ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:13:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   :cheer:

I second (or third etc.) the look into finding a club near you. Also look for clubs that have mentors.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:17 am »
Well thanks, I have already been to Ruhl, and probably will take the October beginners class. 

The list of what I need and what not to buy?  Where is that?

KathyP, you must be in Portland? 

Much of club stuff is night activity and I am a sundowner, the sun goes down and I go to sleep.

I do need a mentor tho....KathyP?????  I am willing to drive some (bad back)

Last but not least, I bought the stuff to make my first hive.  Need to put together and paint after I make templates so I can make my own stuff from now on....Anyhow I am going to use 5 medium supers for my hive, 3 for brood and 2 for honey.

Any PNW folks want to throw advice my way I will listen.  I am going to start another thread in the main area to learn who might be mentor material near me. 
J
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
KathyP, you must be in Portland? 

Much of club stuff is night activity and I am a sundowner, the sun goes down and I go to sleep.

I do need a mentor tho....KathyP??  I am willing to drive some (bad back)

i'm in Boring but on the Sandy end.  i, too, go to bed when the sun goes down.  get up with it too which is unfortunate when it starts getting light at 0430.  ;)

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,34810.0.html

here is the current conversation on equipment.  you don't really need much.  lots of what they try to sell us are gadgets rather than useful equipment.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:25 am »
So does that mean you are willing to mentor me?  I can drive that far. 

I hear ya on the 4:30, but we get up at 4:00 on weekdays so I never sleep past 5 ever.

Should I PM you a phone number?

I am retired, so I am available during the daytime.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:19 pm »
you can send me a contact number, but there's not much to do at this time of the year.  the yellowjackets are so bad that i'm not even opening my hives right now.  just trusting that they are in good shape and hoping that i'll be able to check one more time before i leave them alone.  right now, every time i have popped the top, the yellowjackets jump in and it's all down hill from there.   :)

after you take that class you'll probably think of more questions.  post them or shoot me a note and we'll try to get you started out right!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:07 pm »
A mentor is a good, but not necessary.  Everybody does things differently in bee keeping, so it takes a while to figure out what works best for you.  The forum is a great place to gather all the various ways people keep bees and then trying to sort out what might work best for your circumstances.  There is also a lot of good new and old (free on google) bee books that provide a ton of details about bees and their keep.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 10:17:03 am »
BB:  I understand, and actually, most frequently, I bludgeon along and do it myself.  As in KathyP's last post, I learned that wasps are a problem for the bees, I never considered that, even though I know the wasps are terrible this time of year.

There are good advantages to having someone you can call in a moment of freaking out.  I will still do plenty of rushing ahead like a bull moose in rutt......that is me.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »
Welcome to the site!

I used to fly RC airplanes when I lived near Jacksonville, but had to give that hobby up when I moved here. No place to fly them.

Larry

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:10 pm »
That is too bad.  Helicopters in the driveway?  (Little ones) :-D
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 12:05:01 am »
I’ve seen some videos where they even fly the RC helicopters upside down. 

Maybe get rid of the lawn mower and buy a RC helicopter to cut the lawn Larry?

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 12:21:56 pm »
RC Helicopters in the driveway would be nice, but right now I'm enjoying the bees too much.

Some guy actually built and flew an RC lawnmower although it didn't cut any grass.

Larry