Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from East Central Ohio!  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Heather Jernigan

• New Bee
Greetings from East Central Ohio!
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:16:57 pm »
My name is Heather Jernigan, and I am a brand-spanking-new honey bee hobbyist.  Have joined the regional bee keepers association, read more books on honey bees that I thought possible, and will be picking up my first hive tonight. Nuc at the end of May - VERY EXCITED!!!
As far as "a little about myself":
I'll be turning 50 in two weeks (sigh), married, don't have children, live on about 3/4 an acre (thus limiting myself to 2 hives) on the edge of a relatively small city in southeastern Ohio. My interest in bees isn't commercial at all - in fact, trying to figure out how to be as natural as possible and not extract, yet manage swarming. Looking forward to reading about everyone's experiences!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Greetings from East Central Ohio!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:08:41 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Heather.
Add your location to your preferences. It will be important when you ask questions in the future.
Here in Florida,  1/2 acre is large enough to have 10 hives during he winter and 20 hives during swarm season.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sumerduck

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum Heather.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!

"in fact, trying to figure out how to be as natural as possible and not extract..."   - Then just cut out the comb honey and eat it all!  :cheesy:

I turned 50 two weeks ago myself, and started my first ever hives on March 27th.  It's a thrilling hobby - today I was watching the foragers head out into the morning sun, golden balls highlighted against the deep green-black of the woods 80yds away... they were there in less than ten seconds!

Offline Heather Jernigan

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:17:54 am »
Thanks all!
Maggies Dad, I can tell you're from the south - the last paragraph was flat-out POETIC!  :happy:

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:44:14 pm »
 :embarassed:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 04:13:07 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.