Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another stray dog in my chickens  (Read 17710 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: another stray dog in my chickens
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 10:27:53 am »
HAB, oh no!!!!  That is just horrible, just a nasty, terrible thing, that poor family!!!  Still, try to have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 02:23:37 am »
I find an aggressive dog, anywhere, and it takes after me, or mine, it will be its last act.  Like KathyP I pack heat and will use.  Dogs that attack other animals are just a split second from attacking a person.  150 grains of cure is worth a pound of prevention.

I would have to agree with this post....even if it is my own dog.  I have a beautiful, and up until lately, very sweet and harmless Lab.  Lately she is showing signs of aggression to the other animals and attacked, without provocation, the neighbor's dog that she had brought into the yard when she was out for a walk.  At first I thought, her territory and all, but she put a hole in my young dog's face the other day when she tried to steal his food, she lunged at the cat for no reason and the same for the chickens who wandered too close.  This is a dog who has always got along with other animals and has never offered to snap, growl or jump at another animal or person.  I know she is getting a little age on her but I already told the boys, at the first sign of aggression towards us, she is history.  Not rehomed, but put down.  I love her dearly and I can only imagine what has caused this change, maybe a medical problem, but I will not tolerate an aggressive animal.  She doesn't appear to be in any pain but there is definitely something going on with this dog.  She gets plenty of attention, plenty of food, plenty of exercise, etc.  All in all, though, a cranky dog is a dangerous dog!   :(
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 08:54:36 am »
Beekissed.  I know that will be a sad day for you.  But you must think in reality here, put that human emotion aside.  I agree with you 100%.  There is something brewing within your pooch, and it is not good.  I don't know her age, but the time has come.  If she is becoming aggressive like she is, then she must go to a happy place, where that aggression has been left behind in her earthly body.  It will be a very hard thing to do and will break your heart in two.  I have been there, many times with dogs, and my heart is still broken.

Last fall we had to put down my beautiful Keesha.  She had become stone deaf, she was 14.  I fell over her one night because she didn't hear me to move, she was black as the blackest night.  It was only time before she was run over by a car, eaten or maimed by a bear or coyote, and that would have been horrible vet bills or whatever.  She is in that happy place now, and she can hear.  My girlfriend thought that I was ruthless and cruel to put her down, she asked me what would I do when my Husband became completely deaf.  Hee, hee.......I was and am still very annoyed with her for these nasty thoughts to me, and there was a breakdown in our relationship it hurt me so badly.  She was the one that carried her great big Belgian Sheppard up and down the stairs to go to the bathroom, until he finally died in her yard.  I don't go that route at all, her and I are on different plains for surely.

Good luck with what you have to do, it will be a sad day, but you must protect everything within your life, it may be one of the children next.....have a beautiful, greatest of days, keep that chin up and be strong, and think logically.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 01:47:28 pm »
Many yrs ago during an inspection for a sale, the homeowner informed us in small talk, that one of his cats had been hit by a car and the vet bills were over $3,000.00, which he paid.

I am an animal lover as well. That three thousand would have bought a lot of cats, if you like cats, me, I'm more of a dog person, although there have been a few cats that have gotten under my skin.

Cindi, that's sad about you and your friend, she has no right. You gave that dog 14 wonderful yrs, I'm with you on that one. You have to draw the unfortunate line somewhere.

Your friend prolonged the death of her dog because she couldn't let go, and that dog, I'm sure was suffering, more than it should have.

Look at it this way, if one of your dogs turned viscious, that doggie that you loved for so many yrs, wouldn't you want to be the one to privately put it down?

That way you can have proper closure with your pet.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2008, 03:02:09 pm »
cindi has it right.  better for all to do it before something really bad happens.  it's just part of owning animals.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:47 pm »
JP, Cindi & Kathy you are all right!  My aussie is 13, getting deaf but still moves without much pain. The time will come however when her quality of life doesn't equal my need for her to be with me.  Our animals let us know when it's time..don't know how but if you really listen with your heart you can tell.  Cindi, a deaf dog in your situation, so much can happen in a painful, scary way.  We aren't so far out & my property is fenced but worry every day when Maddy goes to "mark" the corner of the driveway that some car will sneak up on her.  I would much rather have the last minutes of her life peaceful & loving than scared & hurt.  In the wild they would not even have lived this long as only the strongest most able usually live to maturity anyways.  Beekissed,  I know that our dogs are domesticated but some of the old triggers still exist, like the prey drive, dominance, you never know what will set off a particular instinct.  We love & trust our animals but always have to remember that they are animals & WON'T react like people do.  People with alhizmers or other disease don't react like we think people should either & a good portion of them wouldn't want to live like they are if they were able to make a rational choice. I know I wouldn't!   Just my .02 off to feed the girls!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

anything