Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bald-Headed Eagle  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Bald-Headed Eagle
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:37:08 am »
A couple of weeks ago, when we firstly had the last big snowfall, my Sister called me out the back.  There was a Bald-Headed Eagle sitting in a tree near the chickenyards.  Yep, think it was scoping out some birds.  We watched, it watched us, it stayed for about 10 minutes and then finally decided that these chickens weren't for it, too many humans watching him.  He flew away, far to the west.  We didn't see him again. What a beautiful bird, and he was pretty big.  Any one of the birds in our yards would not have been a match for his critter.  They are incredible and beautiful, but not what I want to hang around here, that is for sure.  Have a beautiful, wonderful day, on our great earth.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
Re: Bald-Headed Eagle
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:09:11 pm »
We have a mated pair that live here now. One of them was in a tree in front my house this morning. It let out a call and scared the crap out of me. We see them alot on road killed Deer.

I never saw a wild Eagle growing up. They were rare and I grew up in the burbs. Now that we're country folk, I think its great that my kids see Eagles regularly. We also have a HUGE Redtail Hawk that over winters here every year. I see him take a dove from my bird feeders about once a week.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »
Cindi, Vaya post! Incredible and beautiful. My son is an eagle fanatic, and I can understand him.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:27:30 pm »
Is there a difference between the "Bald-Headed Eagle" and the "Bald Eagle"? :roll:

I've only seen a couple, but they are slowly reclaiming their range and more are found around here than ever before.  Thats a nice picture of one.  It looks cold though....

Rick
Rick

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:27:03 pm »
Actually there is no such thing as a bald headed eagle. Its Bald Eagle. The name   Bald is from the Middle English word balled, meaning shining white. Some of the previous names are American Eagle, White-headed Eagle, and American Fish Eagle.  Your Chickens were quite safe.  These birds are mainly fish and carrion eaters and rarely kill anything.  Sorry to contradict but raptors are something that I know alot about

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:36:08 pm »
Danno, is that you with the hawk?  It is beautiful!  We have lots of Bald Eagles here.  They hang out close to the river, specially during the salmon runs..love that icky looking fish!  I saw one in a cow-pasture a few years ago..it was right by the fence eating afterbirth.  My car wasn't 20ft. away.  He (she-it) wasn't bothered a bit, stayed a good 1/2 hr.  A crow was harassing it from behind...pesking it to leave..the eagle just looked back at it & the crow went away leaving the eagle to eat in peace. It is amazing how BIG they truly are close up!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 04:43:25 pm »
Hi Jody
 Yes the pic is me and my female redtail Belle.  I trapped her off a power pole 4 years ago.  Trained her and now she is my hunting partner or maybe I am hers.  Shes the hunter and I'm the rabbit dog

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:54:51 am »
Thats so neat. How lucky you was to be able to take its picture before he flew off.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:06 am »
Awesome photo! That's great

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 01:43:17 am »
Great photo. I think it was looking at your chickens.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:23:26 am »
Danno, stand corrected.  Interesting the actual name, balled, meaning the white head, and yes the head of this stunning raptor (I am learning) is so clearly white.  I have learned something new and that is a wonderful thing.

You say that they are the lovers of the fish and carrion.  I don't doubt your word.  So then, I suppose that it was hangin' out in the tree above the chickenyards to check out if anything had died?  It was there long enough that I surely thought it was going to strike. 

Jody, that was a cool story too. I wonder why the cow didn't clean up the afterbirth, that is surprising it was left in the field.  Maybe she was just a little too busy, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, love our earth we share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 07:17:48 pm »
Cindi,
Awesome picture!  We often have bald eagles that stop off in Boulder County around February each year. I saw 3 of them from my office window and one on the way to work, just this week. They are usually shy and hard to catch on film. I've chased them with my camera for years and so far they have eluded me. Great catch! 

Around here they feed on prairie dogs. When/where there is not a ready supply of their preferred food (fish) they do take small mammals (including pets).

What's a prairie dog?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_dog
-David
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline ImLovinAllBees

• New Bee
  • Bees are amazing
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 08:36:22 pm »
Nice picture Cindy!  I loved seeing bald eagles often while I lived in the Pacific Northwest.  I dont see them as much here in SW PA but occasionally north and west of here.  We have many red-tailed hawks though.  I see them nearly everyday always looking majestic and mystifying. 
Honey is delicious

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:16 am »
From 1983 to 1988 I lived on Kodiak Island in Alaska.  On the side of the mountain above town there was a patch of cottonwoods.  In the winter it was nothing to see 50 plus eagles waiting for the caneries to dump there scapes.  They would be everywhere at that time of the year. sitting on tops of street lights and buildings down town

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:57:05 am »
Danno, beautiful picture you have painted.  About 2 weeks ago my Sister took all the kids to an area near my other Sister's house, in the Hatzic flats.  There is the most beautiful place called, Suicide Creek.  Each year hundreds upon hundreds of Bald Eagles gather there to eat the fish and other stuff they do.  She got some amazing pictures (along with many others with their incredibly enormous and beautiful cameras) of some of the beauties.  I am going to get her to put some on a stick and I will download to my computer and bring some on here.  You will be amazed at what she saw.  Have a beautiful and most greatest day on this beautiful place we live in.  Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:42 am »
Raptors are finally making a comeback here. I had an immature bald eagle in my yard thsi fall for about three weeks. Way cool! Plenty of small arboreal hawks in my yard too at the bird feeders. At least once a week I see the remains of mourning doves from the local sharp shinned hawk that is very efficient in my yard. He drives the brids toward the fence and when they fly up, they get slammed down w/ great force from above. The birds that fly along fence live to see another day, awesome to see!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »
Hey Danno!
 I almost took a job at a salmon cannery in Kodiak. My sister had worked there for 2 summers,'71 and '72. I '76 I was offered a job there as my sis had told the boss guy about me wanting to work there. Anyways, I changed my mind...The cannery had been closed for a couple of years and this was the re-opening..After this season had passed they closed up for good..I even saw pics of the place on a TV show!
 Anyways, my sis had told me that the people working there had little houses/apts that floated on a dock..This was to keep the big "Kodiaks"
(grizzly bears) away from food and stuff that was in the houses. My sis also told me about the Bald Eagles there. The salmon guts and stuff drew a big crowd. Really though, there wasnt much of leftover salmon as almost all the pcs got used for one thing or another during processing.
 your friend,
john

anything