Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hey Mushroom People!  (Read 13004 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Hey Mushroom People!
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:35 pm »
I have become interested in mushrooms and hopefully will run into some who may be able to guide me in field with what/what not types are edible.

Anyone know anything about this one? http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/November112009#

My hunch is that it is not an edible one. More pics of others to come. This one grows readily on our Ms property. There is another variety, perhaps an oyster I will photograph next visit.

Thanks for any feedback!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
Re: Hey Mushroom People!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:40 pm »
figures :-)..... Lousiana is the state where 95%  of the purple mushroooms come from..... hang out at the local head shope I am sure :delivery: you can get all in info on Shrooms you want ... by chance if you get an inside line on Moral mushroom growing.. I will be eternially grateful for any info,,, I luv them and cant find anyone that gathers them since I left MO
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:30:38 pm »
JP, I think that that mushroom would be very poisonous, it has warts on it and has reddish orange to it.  Year before last year I found growing in our field, beneath a coniferous tree, an Amanita Muscaria, looks vaguely similar to what you have, this is AKA as the Angel of Death, Fly Agaric, the one that Alice in Wonderland was munching on, smiling, leave it alone, hee, hee.  It has hallucinogenic properties and can make you very sick.   Beautiful days, to love, live and share, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:03:20 am »
Yup, that would be a fly agaric, not deadly poison, but I'd highly recommend against it anyway unless you want a bad trip.  In Europe they can be used as a hallucogenic, but the ones over here aren't quite the same and will just make you imagine that you are dying. :tumbleweed:

On the bright side, I had a whole passel of shaggy parasols, 3/4 of a fairy ring, show up this fall in my front yard, and after a lot of investigation I ate my first crop of wild mushrooms...really tasty!!

Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:29:55 am »
I would love to find a stash of morels. I had these once at Emerald's in New Orleans. They were outstanding. Not interested in any mushroom trips and not interested in getting filthy sick, so rest assured I will do my research. I'm hoping I can find a few local folks that I can tag along with that will show me the ropes.

Cindi, that shroom looks just like the one I photographed. Rick, good for you man! How did you cook them?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:46:16 am »
JP you find a place htat they even THINK that Morals are .... I will find them... I been gathering morals since I was 5 .. man that brings back memories of grocery sacks full of morals. othe grocery bags full of Polk greesn and ice cream buckets brimming with black berries.  hunt a mess of squirrls in the morning and polk and shrooms the rest of the day.  occasionally a chicken of the woods gold mine.  and dinner at the grand folks that evening................ that ENGRAVED memories that I will cherish till I die.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:32:10 am »
that ENGRAVED memories that I will cherish till I die. 

Hush - you make my eyes water and my stomach churn.  I used to time my visits to relatives to the morells.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:52:13 am »
Rick, good for you man! How did you cook them?

Mmmmm....straight sliced and fried w/butter, in some stuff, stuffed, I got a lot of them and I'm the only one who likes 'shrooms in the house.  Tastes like a store mushroom but stronger flavor/smell.

It has made the urge to go rooting through the woods in the spring stronger.

Rick
Rick

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:35:04 am »
We have morels growing in the woods across the road from our place.  If you're in the area at the right time of year, stop in and we'll go get some.  I once found one nearly six inches tall.

As for the one you photographed, I'd stay away from that one.  As a general rule of thumb, I have learned that the bright colored pretty ones that say "come and get me" are the ones that do nasty things to you.  You can pick up a book on mushroom at you local Barnes and Noble bookstore, or from their website.  I got a great one there for a friend of mine.  We'd start out turkey hunting in the morning, then go mushroom hunting in the afternoon.  (The mushrooms were generally easier to find, and tasted great on our steak sandwiches in the evening!)

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »
   Hey Mushroom People ,    I used to think that the morel was the easiest edible mushroom to identify .  Then --- I have heard that there is such a thing as a  "False Morel" which is not edible and bears a resemblance to the real thing .  Need to learn more before next mushroom harvest .
 Someone once accused me of being a mushroom .

They said I was a "fun-guy" . :-D
                                              ---Burl---
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 01:33:34 pm »
I've found a few false morels, and they are pretty easy to distinguish, like the difference between a chair and a beanbag...

Now the false morals...those are the ones you have to watch out for  :roll:
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »
So anyone know what edible types we have growing down south? Will be getting a fieldguide soon. The search is on! Thanks and keep the stories/advice coming!

...JP

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:22 pm »
JP
Although I dont remember the name of the shroom you posted I do remember what the effects are.  Hallucinations, vomiting and bloody stool.  Get a good book and take it with you in the field.  The better books will  tell you what is edible and it will also tell you poisonous look alikes.  Many years ago I picked many different types but now just stick with morrels and giant puffballs.  In Sept I picked a puffball the size of two basketballs

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 07:20:30 pm »
Danno, what the heck is a puffball? Some type of mushroom I gather, two basketball sized, dang man, now that's a stash!

Its quite funny to see some of these "shroom" websites, most are dedicated to psychedelic varieties with members named "Hippie" and such.

All I want is to get me some shrooms I can cook up with an occasional grass fed beef ribeye. Had one tonight with store bought mushrooms and fresh spinach, mm mm good!

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:39 am »
Yup, that would be a fly agaric, not deadly poison, but I'd highly recommend against it anyway unless you want a bad trip.  In Europe they can be used as a hallucogenic, but the ones over here aren't quite the same and will just make you imagine that you are dying. :tumbleweed:

On the bright side, I had a whole passel of shaggy parasols, 3/4 of a fairy ring, show up this fall in my front yard, and after a lot of investigation I ate my first crop of wild mushrooms...really tasty!!

Rick, we call those Shaggy Mane up here, interesting how names vary from place to place, smiling.  have that great and most wonderful day, with health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 12:29:21 am »
Polk greesn and

Is that like, Polk Salad?  Remember a post about poke salad, and then the song was brought to mind about poke salad Anny, gator got your granny, smiling, always catches my attention these names for different vegetables, am I off topic, my bad, oops.  Have that great and most beautiful day, health.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:46 am »
   Hey Mushroom People ,    I used to think that the morel was the easiest edible mushroom to identify .  Then --- I have heard that there is such a thing as a  "False Morel" which is not edible and bears a resemblance to the real thing .  Need to learn more before next mushroom harvest .
 Someone once accused me of being a mushroom .

They said I was a "fun-guy" . :-D
                                              ---Burl---

Burl, you ARE back, wonderful, have that beautiful day, full of great things to love and enjoy, health.  Cindi

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:07 am »
I started my own morel patch, you buy the mycelium and innoculate your own patch.
I also grow a bunch of other kinds, blue oyster, brown oyster, shitake, maitake, lions mane etc. in logs.
I innoculate the logs after drilling holes in them and then insert the dowels filled with the type of mycelium I want to grow.
It may not be as much fun as hunting for your own but at least I know they are safe and that they will fruit for me, its a sure deal for the most part.
Besides the logs look really cool when they are all in fruit.
My morel patch should fruit this spring for the first time, at least I hope.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:28:32 am »
Rick
Cindi is right about the shaggy mane.  It is also called a inky cap because they break down into a black inky goo in a very short time.  It is one of the five safe mushroom with no poisonous look alikes.
JP
here is a link to giant puffballs
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Giant%20Puffball.html

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 10:36:40 am »
I've seen the type that look like soccer balls, they're numerous at our parks, usually surrounded by kids and referees.  :-D

Thanks for the info Danno.

Natalie, you never cease to surprise us. You just may get a mushroom email from me, picking your brain about your connections and such.

...JP