Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever  (Read 42513 times)

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
Re: Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 11:29:36 pm »
Why try an get one bee to sting you if you can get 30-40 to sting you?  Believe you me, it is a totally different experience :p

Peace

Chris

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 12:15:15 am »
I wasn't even working with my bee girls..I was pulling weeds in my garden wearing a tank top...and I think I she must have handed on my arm, and I schmushed her...

30-40 sting???????  No thank YOU!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 01:30:57 am »
My favorite sting story took place last August.  I teach grad students at Emory one semester each year, finishing in August.  Part of what I do with them involves making a video of a role play that they each do with me.  There are 40 something students in the class.  In August last year I went home one day at 5 PM after an all-day workshop and did what I like to do - stand between the hives and just breathe - the smell is so great.

So I'm standing there, wearing all black and having had a Coke  about an hour before.  Bad time of day, bad fashion decision, bad caffeine in the system.....so a bee greets me with a sting right under my eyebrow.  It was fine that day, but on the next day I had to video tape with these Emory grad students.  I woke up with my right eye completely swollen shut and the whole right side of my face puffy and very itchy.

I told all the grad students that day that I would only make the video tape with them if I could be filmed from the left side!  :-D :-D :-D

Linda T in the N Ga Mountains

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 02:18:53 am »
According to my resident Herbologist (my younger brother) Comfrey not only helps kill the pain of the bee sting but also helps in reducing swelling and itching.  I would try it if I had the problem but after so many years the sting only hurts for a minute or 2 and I almost never swell.  Although Murphy's law says if I were to get stung on the lips or around the eye swelling is garanteed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 10:17:36 am »
Smallswarm, right, I think our friends have some good points.  You experienced a really bad reaction.

I remember once I had a reaction that still to this day makes me wonder.  It was gross and I almost feel embarrassed talking about it.  But I am gonna tell the tale anyways!!!!

It was my first year of beekeeping (summer before last), a really hot summer day (probably about 28 celsius), that is hot in my eyes.  I picked up box because I was going to reverse the brood chambers.  I picked it straight up and the frame from the lower box got pulled out because it was stuck to the frame on the box in my arms with burr comb.  Some angry bees.  I was able to get the stuck frame back in alignment into the bottom box.  What a lesson learned, I always twist the box just slightly when I lift one off the other.  Lessons learned.  Anyways, I did sustain a few stings, one on my face.  Right, I didn't have a veil on, lessons learned.  Hmmm...How soon we forget, I got a couple of stings on the face two weekends in a row cause I didn't have a veil on.  I think that I have learned now.

Anyways back to the story.  After sustaining the sting on the uppper lip, suddenly, I became so itchy in the groin area that I thought I was going to go off the deep end.  I thought to myself, now that doesn't make sense, I showered this morning, I am not sweating that badly, right!!!!  It must be a reaction to the bee sting.  I left the apiary without doing anymore work, showered again, got even more itchier.  Thought I had best see about getting some Benedryl, like someone told me would work to reduce symptoms.  Drove into our town, itching like crazy the whole way, went in and told the pharmacist, itching like crazy standing there, just kind of doing like the "poddy" dance, like little kids do.  The pharmacist had empathy and told me that itchiness can be a bummer.  Right, bummer!!!!  Ha, now that is a play on words.

I got the Benedryl, took 2 caps, I knew that I had only about a 10 minute drive home so I should be OK with any reaction from the pills.  Got home, the itching had almost totally subsided within that 10 minute drive.  Laid down and slept for a good two hours.  Man, that stuff is some powerful drug eh?  I now have the non-drowsy, liquid form.  So, wear face protection at least when working the bees, don't get stung on the lip, it can have some pretty powerful reaction, and you look really ugly for a day or two.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline smallswarm

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 11:53:26 am »
Cindi, I was itching down there too, but I didn't want to mention it. I think a lip sting is similar to a vein sting, because of the concentration of blood vessels in the lips. When the venom is quickly distributed in the blood stream, it tends to affect the whole surface of the body, but also has a shortened life. I have noticed stings on my fingers are the most painful and take the longest to heal, because of the reduced circulation in the extremeties. It's like the venom gets lodged in the cell tissue, and so takes longer to metabolize.

Really though, I do believe bee stings are good for me. In fact, if I haven't had a sting in a few weeks, I'll sometimes make a ground crawler sting me. Maybe I'm just a freak, but I am also fighting a life-threatening auto-immune illness, and I'll try almost any natural remedy that makes sense. Honey bees and medicine go way, way back in time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:32:40 am by smallswarm »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 10:15:59 am »
Smallswarm.  Now that is the nice thing about this forum, we don't know each other personally.  I feel that I can say anything that I want, I mean, about stuff like getting that terrible itching in the groin area.  It is embarrassing in what I will call "regular" life, but with our friends on this forum, I know that many of them have experienced stuff in their lives tooo that have been embarrassing, but I bet they can spill their guts here  :-P.  It is a great place to have a nice place to come and enjoy some quality, safe time, away from the hustle and bustle of this crazy place we call life.  Good luck with the bee sting therapy, you never know, it help with your affliction.  Good luck, good health, have a wonderful day.  Our sun is still shinin', supposed to get rain for the past few days, but is has been sunshine instead, yeah!!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 10:27:08 am »
Well, I don't really have anything to add to that - how about you TWT - Brian - MB or Finsky... :-D

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 11:25:24 am »
Dr. Burt's Bees comfrey ointment was helpful with my itchiness but I had to put it on almost constantly.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 05:48:53 pm »
Fresh Comfrey works best.  One way of using it is to put it in the blender and apply it topically while holding it in place with wrapping.

An folks there are places I've been stung that I refuse to mention in mixed company.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hannah-Davida

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 06:49:32 pm »
Have you tried After-Bite? Don't know if it's available in the US but it comes in little handy felt pen size containers. Works wonders on Mosquito bites. Last year I discovered the active ingredient was AMONIA. Go figure. So now I make my own after-bite and save a fortune. Anyone else have experience with the amonia cure?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 11:54:44 pm »
Brian, now that leaves alot to the imagination  :shock:  Have a wonderful day, great health to all.  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 08:11:06 pm »
I have tried many things and nothing I have tried is in the same ballpark with plantain.  Applied immediately it stops hurting immediately and seldom swells at all.

Other things HELP a little.  Plantain is better than you could hope for.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 08:16:02 pm »
Does the plaintain require the saliva to activate it's properties?  Or could one make a paste of the leaves without chewing it up, and have it ready to go should a sting occur?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 08:50:47 pm »
i debated about writing this because i don't know if the plantain contributed....but.....when i got stung a couple of weeks ago, i applied plantain.  the sting progressed as is normal for me.  not bad the first day, swollen from knee to ankle for the next week.  in addition, i developed blisters on the skin around the sting site.  there was a fair amount of weeping along the upper calf (site of the sting). 

it may or may not have been caused by the plantain.  the swelling alone could account for the fluid build up.  even so, perhaps a test application before actual need, is indicated?  i intend to experiment before using it again.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 10:39:33 pm »
>Does the plaintain require the saliva to activate it's properties?

No.

>  Or could one make a paste of the leaves without chewing it up

I've used pliers to mash it and it worked fine.  Teeth are usually a handy device for this, though.

>in addition, i developed blisters on the skin around the sting site.

I've never had any adverse reactions and yours is the first report I've heard of anything like this after using plantain.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 10:59:58 pm »
as i said, i don't know what caused it.  i will investigate farther, but thought i'd put it out there.  might be a good idea to do a test spot just to be sure.  especially for us fair skinned red head types  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:05 pm »
So, I inflicted a sting today, I felt mean cause i had to kill a bee, but It was worth it, it doesnt hurt to bad and ive had no ill side effects. Though I didnt leave it pumping, so  think that has a part to do with it!

You guys complain way to much, (i should watch my mouth huh wait for a couple days huh?)
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline bhough

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 08:52:38 pm »
Dear DVD,

Claritin is a non-sedating antihistamine that you could probably use on work days.  You might try the combination of that and Pepcid.  Both are over the counter.

B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 11:09:35 am »
Cody, ha, ha, ha.  Never count your chickens before they hatch.  Sometimes the itch and swelling from a bee sting comes worst a day or two after the sting.

If you are into stinging yourself to see your reaction.  Put one on the area above your lip!!!!  Then you will see how you react (just kidding).  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi