Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Recomend a new beekeeper to remove bee's ??  (Read 3707 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Recomend a new beekeeper to remove bee's ??
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:42 am »
Hey there im totaly new to this. No equipment yet. But i have the oppertunety to get some free bees. Lady 1 hr away has honeys in a bass wood tree. Wants them out. I was thinking baout making a Bee vac today or tomorrow. And borrowing a suit and supplies from a local Bee farm.

Would anyone recomend getting some bee's to start out with this way ? Or should i just save my pennies and wait till next yr ?

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Recomend a new beekeeper to remove bee's ??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:56 am »
no wait till next year. not much chance you will get the queen and zero chance of removing brood. You are setting yourself up for failure.

Keith

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:18 am »
Listen to Keith.  That deal has way too many specifics working against you.

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:09 am »
1- Fill in your "location" in you profile.  It's a lot easier for us to give you advise if we know where you are and it's a lot easier for you to find someone nearby to possibly be a helper on cut-outs or trap-outs.... learn by doing.
2- Go to YouTube and search for honeybees, bee swarm, bee traps... etc.
3- Read, read, read....

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:59:28 am »
Agreed with the previous couple of posters
A few specifics that you didn't mention that might highlight the inexperience...
1.) Is this a swarm or an established hive? (I'll guess the second and base my answers on that)
2.) where in the tree is the hive located?
3.) How high up?
4.) is the tree coming down?

A vac is useless unless the tree is coming down.  If the tree is coming down, then you need a chainsaw, not a bee vac.  And only if they lower the tree, if they drop the tree the hive is smooshed.

If they are keeping the tree then you are doing a trapout, and that is a whole different animal.

And if it is a swarm...well those are going to be gone before you get there.

But here's an idea...maybe put up a few swarm boxes in the area and when they swarm you could get an "easy" hive or two :).  That I could recommend, but i'd still save my pennies because that isn't likely this year anymore.

Rick
Rick

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:57:34 pm »
Hey there im totaly new to this. No equipment yet. But i have the oppertunety to get some free bees. Lady 1 hr away has honeys in a bass wood tree. Wants them out. I was thinking baout making a Bee vac today or tomorrow. And borrowing a suit and supplies from a local Bee farm.

Would anyone recomend getting some bee's to start out with this way ? Or should i just save my pennies and wait till next yr ?

Wait until you get your own equipment and some experience. Larry

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
Yea ill prolly just wait. I don't want to cause a bigger problem than there is. She is allergic to them and wants to keep the tree.......  :'(

I just really want to get into the hobby this yr. Wish i could find a swarm..... That i would feel comfy with catching. heck i even made a screened box like package bees come in.

If anyone wants to help a new person out in the hobby feel free to contact me ill update my info now. Were in northern Wisconsin FYI.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 02:18:39 pm »
That I could recommend, but i'd still save my pennies because that isn't likely this year anymore.

depends on where you are.  other than a brief flurry of calls when i was in TN, our swarm season is just starting for real.  

twin, what you would need to do is called a trap out.  it takes some skill, lots of patience, and access to brood from another hive.  probably not something that  you can/want to do.

look for a local bee club.  look for a state beekeeping association.  it's not to late to get a couple of nucs if you want to spend the money.  it's never to late to start learning for next year.

heck i even made a screened box like package bees come in.

not big enough for swarm catching....and then where would you put them?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 03:57:05 pm »
No the box would be for a small swarm or nest. Its bigger than a pakage. Just thought it would be good to have one on hand.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »
So what are the chances that i would get hurt trying to get the bees out If i used a vac ?

Why would i have zero chance of removing brood ? she sent me a pic and they cut a hole already and you can see the comb and brood. I would just have to make the opening bigger. Tree she wants to stay up.

I was thinking about trying to get as much out as i could by hand and then setting up a trap for a month or two. Just to make shure there isnt anyone home anymore. BTW what would happen if i sealed the tree up with any bees / comb in there would the tree rot ?

Again im not set on doing this. Just that noone will do it for her and she dosnt have $$ for a xtermintor. Plus it would be free bees for me!

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 11:47:01 pm »
You need to perform a Trapout if the tree is going to stay up and the bees need to come out. Iddee is the forum trapout guru!! Scott also has a video series of a trapout he just performed!

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:54:05 pm »

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:15 am »
Yea i could do that but it could take up to 8 weeks ! Then i would have a colony that would be week going into fall/winter. Unless theres somting i missed...

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 12:14:18 am »
There is something you missed.  As the bees are coming out of the tree and returning into the catch box, they continue to work.  The bees that are emerging out of the brood nest in the tree are going to be getting promoted to forage earlier than normal because the hive needs food. So, you are essentially just moving the hive from the tree to a new spot.  I just finished a trapout that yielded one 8 frame single deep colony and another 10 frame double deep that was about 100 pounds of brood and honey.  My advice would be to study all you can about the trapout method.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:26:20 am »
a couple of other things you missed.  when a tree has a hole in it big enough for a hive, the tree is already damaged.  if you enlarge the hole, you further damage the tree.  also, where are you going to get a queen?  if you don't get the brood, you don't have the resources for the hive to make you. 

you also don't have the equipment to do the trap out.

better that you learn all you can, collect your supplies, and start in the spring.  if you don't want to buy a package, consider learning about swarm catching and do that in the spring.  also, find a mentor or a club that can help you get started.

i understand the desire, but a good start is better than a fast start.

the other thing you could do now is see if there is someone around who could sell you a nuc.  there is still time for that if you did it now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 12:33:28 am »
Im looking for a nuc and im also going to make my boxes and frames if i can. Im a carpenter/cabinetmaker so it shouldnt be hard to do. Might even get fancy and do dovetail joints.

Im not set on doing it. The local club hasnt gotten back to me yet. The pics the lady sent me show the brood comb. Again ill probly pass on doing it. UNless i do just try a trap out. Heck if its just getting a trap set and everyother entrace sealed shut. I could wait 8 weeks. Im not shure she would but i could try. That would give me time to get my Crud together.

Offline wisnewbee

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »
Before you even consider doing this, you need the knowledge and equipment to do it! Not meaning to offend, but you're not ready for this yet. Take the time to get your equipment together and do some learning. You're already on the right road if you're on here! Get some books and read everything you can get your hands on.

As far as doing dovetail joints, they are actually weaker then finger joints. Use the finger joint or a rabbet joint. Make sure you use a glue such as Tite Bond 3. That glue is waterproof. It's probably faster and easier to buy the frames. That way you know the spacing and size is correct. Spacing inside the hive is very important. If it's too tight, the bees glue it all together. If it's too much, they build burr comb and make a mess of everything. This is called bee space. Frames are cheap. It also helps make sure that the foundation fits the frame. I found out the hard way that foundation from one company may not fit the frame from another company very well. Trimming wired foundation is a pain in the butt.

I'm about an hour from you. It's not too late to start this year if you start with an established colony or a strong Nuc. I sent you a PM. Feel free to contact me.

Bill

Wisnewbee

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 01:15:49 am »
Yup i got the pm. I have a jig that alows me to do fairly large dove tails and other's. Just was throwing that out there. The only reason im considering doing anything is if i dont she will have had 3-4 people back out and just find a way to kill them herself. I thought whats the harm in trying ? If i fail ive only burned up some gas and time. Either way she will be happy there gone.  But if someone else would do it for her i would by all means back down and let them do it. Just would hate to see some bees die with out anyone trying.

And the local club mighthave some one to help ill just have to wait to find out. She's not in a huge rush right now.