Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What wrong with the chicken?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
What wrong with the chicken?
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:57:19 pm »
I have this hen I just noticed. She was walking around like she hurt or something. If chickens can walk hunched over I guess that is what it was. As the wind was blowing her feathers around her back side it looked swollen and red. Then she squirted this really watery green stuff, (probably the green came from grazing on the grass.) She isn't acting very perky.

Couldn't be an egg stuck in there could it?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline MrJeff

• New Bee
Re: What wrong with the chicken?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:48:45 pm »
The watery green stuff sounds like diarrhea. If it happens continually and doesn't clear up, you may want to quarantine and treat, or cull her. Maybe its infectious, you don't want it to spread to the other birds. On the other hand it could just be something she ate and wont last long at all. If a chicken is eggbound, they will frequently lay down and favor one side and generally look uncomfortable. This too can pass, but if it doesn't clear up, it can kill the hen.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:04 pm »
Give her an eye dropper full of Sulmet down the gullet, then follow that up with 5 days of 1 tbsp to a gallon of water.  That will perk her back up.
Every person who has livestock of any kind should keep Sulmet on hand.  It is the most versitile medication for animals (haven't found any it won't work on) that a person can have.  I use it on all my animals, except bees, goats, sheep, turkeys, chickens, pigeons, guinea hens, ducks, cat and dog.  It is even good for pigs, cows, and horses.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »
I use it on all my animals, except bees, goats, sheep, turkeys, chickens, pigeons, guinea hens, ducks, cat and dog.

:lau: So which animals do you use it on? :lau:

Sorry couldn't help myself
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:43 am »
Sounds like shes egg bound to me.  You can try lubing the area up with something like vaseline in an attempt to extract it, but it may or may not work. Egg bound usually results in a dead bird in a couple of days.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:42:01 pm »
Did you pull the candy cork? OOPS, sorry, it's a chicken!  :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:22:27 pm »
this is an old topic, but is worthy for comment on, for anyone who may be experiencing this type of problem with chickens again.  I had the same issue with one of my gold laced wyandotte hens.  She was walking around as if she looked like a penguin, clearly egg bound.  I did some research on how to deal with an egg bound chicken and it is a bit of a convaluted story, but I will tell what I did.  Sometimes it is helpful to relax the birds muscles so the egg can pass.  I placed the chicken to stand in a container of warm water, so that her bottom was being warmed by the water, I held her there for about 10 minutes and then dried her off with a blowdryer, so she would not chill.  She passed the egg the following day, and it was an extremely big egg.  This event occurred on our move up to our new home.  The bird did not lay an egg in the travelling of 5 hours during the move, and it probably caused her to become, like constipated.  You know how that can happen.  To this day I don't know if she would have passed the egg all on her own, or if the warm water bath helped, but that is what I did.  Just a little bit of my two cents to tell of something that I had happen to one of my hens.  If the egg breaks within the chicken, usually it results in death, infection.  Have that wonderful day, of love and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
this is an old topic, but is worthy for comment on, for anyone who may be experiencing this type of problem with chickens again.  I had the same issue with one of my gold laced wyandotte hens.  She was walking around as if she looked like a penguin, clearly egg bound.  I did some research on how to deal with an egg bound chicken and it is a bit of a convaluted story, but I will tell what I did.  Sometimes it is helpful to relax the birds muscles so the egg can pass.  I placed the chicken to stand in a container of warm water, so that her bottom was being warmed by the water, I held her there for about 10 minutes and then dried her off with a blowdryer, so she would not chill.  She passed the egg the following day, and it was an extremely big egg.  This event occurred on our move up to our new home.  The bird did not lay an egg in the travelling of 5 hours during the move, and it probably caused her to become, like constipated.  You know how that can happen.  To this day I don't know if she would have passed the egg all on her own, or if the warm water bath helped, but that is what I did.  Just a little bit of my two cents to tell of something that I had happen to one of my hens.  If the egg breaks within the chicken, usually it results in death, infection.  Have that wonderful day, of love and health.  Cindi

Leave it to big hearted Cindi to treat her sick chickens chickens to a warm, bubble bath and spa treatment.  :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »
VolunteerK9, that made me smile.  Yep, the things we do for love, you should see some of the antics that my birds are subject to  :shock:  8-)  :lol: .  They are as my children, each and every one has a soul, worthy of the best care that care can give.  It does sometimes now get out of hand with so many (well, is like 40 a lot, perhaps not, smiling).  What I don't like is when some of them get those dirty butts, and the cling-ons get so they have to be removed, like a snowball, just gets bigger and bigger  :shock:  beautiful days, those of love and sharing, with that great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »
Leave it to big hearted Cindi to treat her sick chickens chickens to a warm, bubble bath and spa treatment.  :-D
Well giving them CHICKEN soup would have just been WRONG. (On SO many levels).
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -