Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless hive?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Poppy

• New Bee
Queenless hive?
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »
I am new to beekeeping and received a 5 frame nuc on 26 June. I was advised to leave it alone for a few days (4) and then check to see if the queen had been released from her cage. She hadn't so I released her. I week later I  couldn't find Queen and more importantly no eggs/larvae either. Yesterday I checked again, same result. Contacted my supplier who said to leave it another week and would send a replacement Queen if still no signs. Cam anyone help? What do you think will happen if, in my error there is in fact a Queen there after all. Is there a chance that both queens will fight to the death of each other and I will be left with neither? This is the only colony I have, so cant do a test frame and larvae is too old for the bees to produce another queen. Dont know what to do for best. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queenless hive?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:00 pm »
if you are truly queenless and leave them that way to two weeks, you run a high risk of developing laying workers.  your only hive?  do you know another beekeeper in your area that could at least give you a frame of brood?  is there anyone with experience who would be willing to come look at your nuc?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Poppy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 05:54:03 pm »
Hi, Yes I've contacted my local club to see if someone could come and have a look but meanwhile trying to find out what my options are. Do you think 2 Queens fighting would be the death of both generally? Thanks for your reply, really appreciate any advice given :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:12:21 pm »
I think the workers would dispose of the new queen before she got near the old queen. They would never meet.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:35:27 pm »
Poppy,
I sent some info to you.  :)

But wanted to ask also....Is it normal for nucs to be made up with caged queens over there?

Here, it would be a red flag, meaning a nuc producer who is making up nucs from pulled frames and a purchased queen. Not really the ideal situation, and one that tends to increase the chances of problems as you have detailed.

But I know you guys do some wacky things..... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Poppy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:28 am »
Thanks all for the advice.
Mike, Ive sent you pm.

Forgot to mention at the start that I have found the bees to be very placid, I'm not at all intimidated by them which for someone inexperienced is reassuring as I'd heard if the hive was indeed queenless they would be be more vocal and bit feisty!  (but never wacky!!)