Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mediums  (Read 9008 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
mediums
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:02 am »
Just a quick question about pricing... how much do dadant mediums typically go for?  How about the frames for them?

Reason I'm wondering is I'm about to start making some for myself... but thought I might make some extra and sell them, particularly the ones I'm not 100% satisfied with (I'm kinda a bit of a perfectionist, and it would drive me nuts to have even a small nick in the ones I keep for myself), especially if I can get pretty close to what I have in materials to make them. 

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: mediums
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45:34 am »
I buy them 50 at a time to get the price break, so that makes a commercial grade $7.50. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:34 pm »
For the supers or the frames?

If that's for the frames, then that's definately worth my while to make them.

If that's for the supers... well, that just about covers the wood, so I guess it would be worth my while to sell the extras I make in my pursuit for the perfect set of equipment.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »
That's for the box.  I can't buy wood cheap enough to make them.  I also don't pay tax on the supers since it's ag.  And I am close enough to pick up, so no shipping.  It all makes a difference.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:03:09 pm »
Yup, it does... did the math... without shipping, I come out $0.64 cents ahead per box at that price, that is, if they are unpainted/varnished.  I don't know what it would be if they were.  So... that even pays me 10 cents an hour or so!  Woo Hoo!  That's enough to call myself a professional!   :-D

Or... something like that anyway.  Just 120 years 'til it pays for the tools that I bought to make them with.   :-\

Oh well, at least that'll let me get rid of the crappy ones I don't like... gonna have plenty of them... out of my first set of 4 fronts and 3 sides... 2 sides and 3 front pieces have knots in them.  So basically, I've got 1/2 of one that I might consider keeping for my own hive.  I know, it wouldn't hurt to have a few knots in them, but it would bug me.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:39:04 pm »
Frames - Kelley $0.63 each
             Mann Lake $0.50 each #2
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:42:29 am »
Wow, that's not even worth making them for myself. 

Does anyone here make their own frames?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:01:33 am »
Only for non-standard stuff like double deeps.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:04:49 am »
Yeah, I can see why.  It doesn't even pay to make them out of the scrap wood from making the boxes.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:47 am »
Spend your time making tops and screened bottom boards.  Those are over priced enough to be worth your time.  Also nucs are over priced in my opinion. 
www.myoldtools.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 07:13:06 pm »
Have a friend of relative whose a carpenter?

Have them bring you scraps from the construction sites.  Tell him what kinds of lumber you need.  A 2X6 cut on the depth at 3/8 inch makes good medium end bars.  2X4's and others lumber can be cut or ripped to make tops, bottoms, top bars, bottom bars, etc.  1X4's can be cut and glued to make hive bodies, tops, bottoms, etc.

Free wood makes inexpensive equipment.  Give the carpenter a few jars of honey once and a while to keep the lumber flowing.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BearCreekBees

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 08:59:13 am »
What Brian said.

I used to make tons of my own equipment because I got wood scraps from work. I already had a wood shop set up so I did not have to buy much, if anything, in the way of tools and equipment. I don't know if I came out ahead or not, but I enjoy working with wood, and I especially enjoy recycling something which would have been thrown away into something useful and productive. But, it was more of a hobby for me than a money-maker. It definitely would not be worth it if I had to purchase materials and tools- there just isn't that much profit in the stuff to begin with.

Frankly, if I were buying homemade equipment, I would NOT buy someone else's reject stuff.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 09:38:43 am »
I've done the math and some building,..  If you enjoy the woodwork do it.  In beekeeping there are so many different aspects you can really sink your teeth into  ;) .  Find your passion and embrace it.  I don't mind woodworking, but find it a chore at times, so I have converted some BBds to screen and built some outer covers. I stay away from frames and boxes.

db

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 05:12:39 am »
Yeah I know what you mean.  So far I like making the boxes, but I get the feeling, just looking at the schematics, that making the frames will be a real chore.

I'll tell you what I could make for money though... those solar wax melters... holy crap those are expensive for such a simple thing!!  $55!!!

I'm thinking about making a mini solar wax melter... maybe about the L & W of a sheet of paper.  We'll see.  Oh hey, I could use that wood I mis-cut to make a couple.

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:09:51 pm »
Hi!
I am just playing with it now to see how it will work, but I was able to get a soda display tub (all black)from a conveniences store. It is about 2 ft deep has a drain hole in the bottom. It has built in shelf rest so I can lay a small window screen on it (that I bought at Walmart at $7) and a plexy glass top I found some where.
The point is that the store through these things away all the time and they just set them out back of their stores. So if you are friendly with the owner of the Chevron store you buy your gas and cup of coffee from he may have one he would like to get rid of.

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 03:44:48 pm »
If the slightest nick drives you nuts, then you're not going to like what prying the supers apart will do. (and you will pry them apart when they are stuck together with propolis)
As far as a solar melter, you might give Linda's version a try.
Melter
That's how I intend to make one.
Brenda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 01:26:27 am »
If the slightest nick drives you nuts, then you're not going to like what prying the supers apart will do. (and you will pry them apart when they are stuck together with propolis)
As far as a solar melter, you might give Linda's version a try.
Melter
That's how I intend to make one.

I use this solar wax melter all the time and it works like a charm.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 02:26:11 pm »

I'll leave myself a little pry spot on the bottom of each where I can pry from and put nicks only on the bottoms of the boxes in the pry spots...

But you got me thinking... I wonder what would happen if I used remote controlled servos that were rigged to lift the boxes off the box below it... Then you could just walk up, hit the remote clicker and the whole hive could come apart for you... hmm... I'm sure it won't work, but I'm not sure why yet.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:37 am »
SGT....you have WAYYY to much time on your hands...hehe
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:30:22 am »
Spend your time making tops and screened bottom boards.  Those are over priced enough to be worth your time.  Also nucs are over priced in my opinion. 
I know a number of woodworking beeks that always come to local & state bee club meetings with a truck (and/or trailer) full of stuff they made. They set up a table and sell.

anything