Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So what happens to double yolkers?  (Read 16736 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
So what happens to double yolkers?
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:58:40 pm »
I've always wondered this and really don't want to search it because we have so much experience here, I always come to the forum with questions I'm sure someone (s) can answer.

I remember as a kid my mom ALWAYS buying Double Yolkers, it was the best thing for me, who perfected the VERTICAL EGG as I called it - simply put, from the second the egg hits the frying pan I oush everything toward the center until the white end up no bigger than the yolks except as the swell, it lifts the egg high into the air. I carefully flip JUST until done, still shaping it so that the finished egg is just over an inch round and over 1.5 inches in height. I loved doing this, could cut into the egg with the fork or smother it with hash browns and gulp that magical golden filled bite into my mouth, proud that it made it perfectly cooked and the whole thing could fit into a spoon :)

But I wondered, what happens to double yolkers when left to mature, do they Siamese out on you, die cause of cramped space, live on as separate twins, or what????

I've seen most deformed animals long before the Internet was the state fair and the freakshow, but I can't remember ever seeing a 2 headed chicken or one with 4 legs, etc.. Are these doubles doomed to die, do they never fertilize out, what happens to them?

I'll keep it simple, but I come to you all first for the real truth, I like the Wikipedias of the world and enjoy searching, but when it comes to putting my eggs in someones hands  :shock: I always like it to be a friends :) Thanks.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: So what happens to double yolkers?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:37:49 pm »
The yolk is not the chick,  it is the food source the embro lives off of while it matures.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »
On a chicken forum I belong to there were 2 people that hatched out twins. They used an incubator and not a broody hen so they could keep tabs on it.
They showed pictures of it when they candled the egg and you could see 2 chicks in there.
I have heard of these eggs not hatching or having issues(which I assume would be due to lack of space and nutrients) but both of these people went on to hatch them without problems.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:23:29 pm »
I would think that space is the main problem, a double yolker isn't exactly 2x the size of reg eggs, somewhere between so brooding would be a problem, many more turns??.  Natalie, that is so cool, I'll have to check out the back posts there!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:40:09 pm »
Here's one thread from BYC showing the hatching of a double yoker.  Amazing job!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 06:12:14 am »
So Rob.... It's the WHITES that is the chicken? All I ever get from the whites is marange. I guess that's why you should stop at choking your chicken and keep away from whipping it to stiff peaks  :roll: Honestly though, nature is magical - give me an egg and tell me to make a chicken, I'd ask you what are you smoking!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:56:20 am »
So Rob.... It's the WHITES that is the chicken? All I ever get from the whites is marange. I guess that's why you should stop at choking your chicken and keep away from whipping it to stiff peaks  :roll: Honestly though, nature is magical - give me an egg and tell me to make a chicken, I'd ask you what are you smoking!

It is not the whites (clear stuff) as you know it either.  If you look closely,  there is a little white (really white and not clear) glob that IS the chicken.   Now perhaps there are two of these little white globs with double yolkers, but I'ver never looked.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 12:39:48 pm »
  If you look closely,  there is a little white (really white and not clear) glob that IS the chicken.   Now perhaps there are two of these little white globs with double yolkers, but I'ver never looked.

My wife was fixing breakfast this morning and I asked her to keep a look out for this, we get a lot of double yolks around here and sure enough we had one. She said it appeared to be one white glob attached to both yolks.

We had a really small egg awhile back that we thought wouldn't have a yolk. It turned out to have two and very little clear stuff.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:38:09 pm by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:44:03 pm »
The white globby part that stradles the yolk and white is the chalaza. It attaches the yolk to the white.
The actual chick would form from a small white dot, called the germinal disc if it was fertilized and that is usually located off to the side of the yolk but can be further up.
You would know it was fertlilized if you see a dot in the center of that disc, like a bullseye.
Now you know everyone is going to go some crack some eggs now to see what is what :-D

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:14:09 pm »

Ok my head might be in the gutter on this one but this reply is awfully close to being banned :-D :-D :-D :-D ;) ;) ;)

Just giving you a hard time

Keith

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 07:01:10 pm »
i hope you're just giving john a hard time or we might see who gets banned lol :evil:
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:07:30 pm »
Ok my head might be in the gutter on this one but this reply is awfully close to being banned :-D :-D :-D :-D ;) ;) ;)
Just giving you a hard time
Keith

i hope you're just giving john a hard time or we might see who gets banned lol :evil:

I was going to say something but decided against it. You're not going to put it on the internet are you?  :-P  :oops:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:55:48 pm »
Please take (2) two" eggs. one from chickens that have roosters with them.
One from those that has (no) roosters.
Now take these two eggs and crack in separate cups.
Study each very closely.
See if you can find a real difference.
Please post the results.
doak

Does any one on this forum really know Eggs as they are.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:50 pm »
There's a thread on BYC that explains what a fertilized egg looks like.  I don't think I should post her pictures here, so if you're interested, check the link, the explanation is in the first post.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
That is some good Info, thanks.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 10:20:22 am »
I hear that fertilized eggs are lower in cholesterol is this true ??
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 12:42:34 pm »
I hear that fertilized eggs are lower in cholesterol is this true ??

Irwin, that sounds hokey to me, but hey, ya never know, I doubt it though.  I was  in the doctor's office last week and there was a pamphlet I read on eggs and the bad rap that they are getting, to do with cholesterol.  Anyways, they went on to say that people SHOULD eat a few eggs a week, the omega 3 fatty acids are extremely good for you. 

Anyone here who has chickens, or anyone else, read this article that I have linked here http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/poultry/bba01s04.html.  Some very interesting stuff going on.  Have a wonderful day, great life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »
I can't imagine being fertlized changing the level of cholesterol.
I just read an article in Mother Earth News about how free range eggs have higher omega 3 fatty acids and lower cholesterol.
I am assuming its all the vegetation and the variety in their diets.
I remember when they were saying that you shouldn't eat eggs more than once or twice a week but now they are recommending them like you said.
I know that when they came out with those egg beaters it was suppose to be so much better for you, I hate when they try to improve the real thing.
 There is a commercial farmer on another forum who said that those types of pourable eggs are from all the unsellable eggs, usually the ones that are cracked or whatever other reason they could not be packaged.
He said to stay away from them because we should be leery of the fact that they were cracked and who knows what got in there.
I don't know the flip side of this, but thats what he said.
It makes me wonder if thats the real reason they came up with the idea of the egg beater type of eggs, maybe they were trying to capitalize on all the eggs that get broken or are mishapen or whatever other thing that would make them unsellable and save/make some money from them.

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 04:02:31 am »
The difference between a fertile and infertile egg is one sperm cell.  That's not going to have a noticeable impact on the nutrition of the egg and is barely noticeable even when you know what to look for.  Such a myth probably developped for the same reason as the myth that brown eggs are healthier.  Pretty much all that's sold in stores in the US are plain infertile white eggs.  Until the more recent cage free and organic movements brown eggs and fertile eggs came from farms and backyard flocks.  There is a huge difference in the cholesterol level and health of an egg from chickens kept in these conditions versus the chickens that those store eggs come from.  So in that case brown and fertile eggs are much healthier but it's not because they are brown or because they are fertile.  It's because the chickens are treated better and have a larger variety to their diet.

Egg beaters, other liquid products, powders, and most of the egg in baking goods and other packaged foods are the rejects.  Commercial eggs are carefully candled and sorted to only pick out the perfect ones without blood or meat spots, deformed shells, etc...  Those are sold in cartons.  All the rest (and if you raise hens you know that's a good portion especially for pullets) are thrown into the various other forms so you never see the imperfections.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:50 pm »
So true about the imperfections!  Funny thing is that the imperfections are egg-xciting  :roll:  to my customers, they always want the weird ones, like where's Waldo!  BTW, Welcome akane, I see you only have 2 posts so are newish! :-D J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

anything