Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spacing of Mini Mating Nucs  (Read 5299 times)

Offline larry tate

• New Bee
Spacing of Mini Mating Nucs
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »
What is the closest to put mini mating next to each other to have success. Your experience is appreciated

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Spacing of Mini Mating Nucs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:37:41 pm »
I don't know how others may do it, but ours are spread all over the yard. Some within inches of each other.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »
I would space them as much as your situation allows.  The further they are the better odds of them finding the right one.  I don't use mini nucs, but I do end up with mine fairly dense because I don't have the room to spread them out.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dvash

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »
How long do you keep the Queens in the mini mating nucs before they outgrow them? I am thinking of growing queens but don't have a  regular schedule. I'd like to grow a batche every once in a while. Can I just put the bees back into a regular hive or will they fight?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:29:03 pm »
>How long do you keep the Queens in the mini mating nucs before they outgrow them?

I use two full sized medium frames and they quickly out grow them and I often split the mating nucs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:36 pm »
I use 5 frame deep nucs as my mating hives and I put them just about wherever I can.  You can use them as your mating hives and steal brood or queens as needed.  Starting in early August I raise fresh queens for overwintering.  I make note of what 2 deep hives have questionable "old" queens (over 1 year old in the Spring) and I replace them with the overwintered queens from the nucs in the Spring.  It's surprisingly easy to find a marked queen in a recently overwintered hive.  If a hive fails to overwinter I drop the nuc in there.   I refill the nuc box with a swarm (trapped or captured) or any frames with active queen cells I run across.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Gilman

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »
I do place my matting nucs in groups of 4, facing different direction, painted in different colors.
The space between nucs can be 10 feet or so, depending on the yards.

Gilman

anything