Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Syrup consumption.....  (Read 2671 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Syrup consumption.....
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:19:32 pm »
I have 3 hives. One is sucking down the syrup like no tomorrow. Feeding out of a inverted jar. Second is same feeding but not a lot of syrup. Third is baggie style Not much consumed in the past day.

The temp has been cooler and slightly windy. Temps at 30 ish at night and 50 in the day. It was also rainy yesterday. Will they not do much in the inclement weather ?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Syrup consumption.....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:50:35 pm »
Take care that colony has minimum 2 full frame of stores. It is food for about one week when colony rears brood. It is about 5 kg sugar.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:31:38 pm »
Are you providing warm syrup daily? 

Temps in the 30's will cool the syrup and bees will refuse it.  I'm having the same issue and have been giving them warm syrup each morning.

That said, each colony is a different animal and no two are exactly alike, whether talking about consumption or build up...etc.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:07:59 pm »

I would agree with T beek, 1 hive take alot next only a little.  Also some jar lids let more of the syrup out than others. 

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
So warm syrup every day ?? Hmmm not sure how to work that in with the 6-5 work schedule.... ?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »
Depending on how you're providing syrup it can be done in the dark before you leave for work, your bees won't mind at all.  I feed in an empty super over the inner covers so its quite easy to simply lift the top covers and remove the 'cold' remaining syrup from the day before and replace with warm.  Takes about 10 seconds a hive.

Diligent 'commitment' is a basic part of beekeeping IMO  :), but that's just me.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
Well fine then Ill do that. I have no problems doing things in the dark. lol

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:20:21 am »

Temps in the 30's will cool the syrup and bees will refuse it.  I'm having the same issue and have been giving them warm syrup each morning.

if you feed with upper feeder, bees take 5 kg sugar in one day.

To give syrup every morning ... Toybees.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:43 am »
Well fine then Ill do that. I have no problems doing things in the dark. lol

Yeah I'm quite fond of darkness myself.  One can get alot of things done during the 'wolfing' hours.

Most important;  if you want your bees to take the syrup its got to be 'warmed' when confronted with these cold temps or at above 50F at night to keep it attractive to your bees.  They just will not take it otherwise. 

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
One other thing to note... hives are different.. one hive will send a crew to your house begging for more syrup... another hive my take it or leave it... another hive will snub their nose at it and not touch it and send an upset delegation to your house for trying to give them some kind of fake crap  :-D
I have a swarm hive that is 3 years old that has never taken a drop of syrup from any kind of feeder at any time of the year.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »
LOl thanks for the explanation Cbee !!

I checked the girls this afternoon. All 3 hives are going good. Nice activity even tho its only 50ish outside. All 3 have eggs and from what i saw (quick peek)  The queen's arnt missing a beat. When i move the bees with my finger there is an egg in every cell. (a 3inx3in area)

Im verry happy with what i found today.

The center hive isnt just sucking down the syrup there also going to town on the pollen patty !

Check my blog on the bees/ wine making at www.adventuresinpeterland.blogspot.com

Also if the ladys are starting to store the Syrup would it hurt to feed  ?? Just thought about the soon to be workers.....

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:12 pm »
I'd keep feeding until they stop taking it or a good flow has begun.  Either way, the bees will tell you when they've found another source.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
So how would i know if there was a good flow on ? Would they refuse to take any ?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37:23 am »
In N/W Wisconsin our first 'good' honey flow is the dandelion bloom (ours has just begun).  Once the dandelions start kicking in there s/b little reason to feed.  And if you're observant you'll know/witness the difference right away by the amount of activity at entrances.

But as said above; your bees will tell you when they've found other sources by ceasing or slowing all syrup consumption, so I'd keep feeding (especially a package) until they STOP taking it, regardless of the flow.

Trust your bees to show you the way.  They will seldom steer you wrong.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
Yea ill feed till they tell me not to. Thanks t beek !