Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Come binding hives  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
Come binding hives
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:20:06 am »
Yesterday I found my one of my hives had no queen and no brud or eggs and not many  bees.  So I comebind the two hives using papper. I dent have a top internee for the weaker hive. I think I just killed a lot of bees. They where fighting for a long time. I came out at dusk and all was quite and all the bees where in the hive. Now this morning I see that they are taking out dead bees like crazy. I think I did it wrong ???  I was wandering if I mite of put the queen in the good hive in danger ?

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
Re: Come binding hives
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:40:14 am »
I use the newspaper method for combining hives. I take the top off one hive and lay a sheet of news paper of the brood box. I then place the new box on top of the paper. The bees will acclimate to each other as they chew through the paper.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:19 am »
Yesterday I found my one of my hives had no queen and no brud or eggs and not many  bees.  So I comebind the two hives using papper. I dent have a top internee for the weaker hive. I think I just killed a lot of bees. They where fighting for a long time. I came out at dusk and all was quite and all the bees where in the hive. Now this morning I see that they are taking out dead bees like crazy. I think I did it wrong ???  I was wandering if I mite of put the queen in the good hive in danger ?

Are you absolutely sure there was no queen a hive :roll:

I do this time the year in New England you may not see any brood or eggs.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:28:51 pm »
Did you punch holes in the newspaper? It sounds like you punched too many holes and too big. They got together too quick. I only punch one small knife slit in the paper. Just enough to give them a start.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 02:00:15 pm »
I did poke holes in the papper I'm thinking because there was no intrans on the top that the forageing bees came back and then the Fighting   was own. Boy there's a lot of dead bees out side of the hive. But they are taking the dead away from my yard.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:24 pm »
And other thing that will help you is to spray sugar water on the top of the bottom box and on the bottom of the top box the bees.   And I always put the queen right one on the top. This works well for me. Like iddee said I only within 2 or 3 half inch slices in the paper.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:24 am »
It sounds to me like both hives had their own queens when you joined them.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:57:24 am »
When combining I generally don't poke any holes into the paper, but I do soak it down w/ sugar water to encourage their interest.  In 24 hours all is usually good.

I also agree;  It is very possible that you combined two queens....based on the behavior described.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:45:05 am »
Thanks for your kind replays I have a lot to learn. I just hope I dent harm my queen!!!!  Boy it's hard razing bees I'm going to my beekeeping meetings and I'm reading a lot. I'm going to take a neather beginner class again. I want to do things right. This is two hives I have lost so far but I'm not going to stop caring for bees this is a learning thing. I do have a couple menders and I'm going to do the best for the my bees. 

anything