Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long to fillout new foundation ?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
How long to fillout new foundation ?
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »
Just like the title. How long would an average size single deep hive take to fill out a new deep added to it ?

I have a Hive from a cut out. I just added a second deep to it with waxcoated foundation. Just would like to see how the queen is laying for me. New to bee keeping also so bee nice.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: How long to fillout new foundation ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:19:44 am »
You won't get any definite answer to your question because there are so many variables.  It will depend on how many bees you have,  how motivated they are to make new comb for brood or honey, how much nectar flow is going on, how much pollen is available for brood rearing etc.  In the spring it could happen in two weeks if everything is going full blast.  Or it might not happen this year if they don't need the space, are in a long dearth etc.   Observe the hive carefully and maybe you can tell how motivated they are and if they have the necessary resources.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:42:46 am »
I just started feeding them a 1:1 syrup. Incase they needed it.( next feeding would contain some medicine. They are feral.) And because i read it would help them make more wax.  I kinda thouhgt there would be tomany variables. My thouhgt was there looked like there was to many bees in the hive. So if i give them more space they might take advantage of it. Im hoping to go into winter without any worries.

So if alls well and they fill these out in a month or less i should throw on a super right ?

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:09 am »
I would say if they build the new comb and fill it with honey for the winter you will be lucky. Harold

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:03:07 am »
Ya im hopin for luck here. SO if they dont how could i help them through out the winter ?

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:05:28 am »
"I would say if they build the new comb and fill it with honey for the winter you will be lucky. Harold"

With little flow and pollen maybe.  By the end of July Id expect it to be ready to swarm by the end of July in my yard.  How much brood do you have.  If you got five frames of capped brood you will need a super in two weeks.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:59 am »
There is no average in this case. And if some one give  it to you, it is useless.. Something between one week and the whole summer.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:15 am »
I will quote my instructor: "the bees will do it when they want to"  - boy how I hated to hear that as a new beekeeper, I wanted a calendar answer. :hissyfit:

I sprayed the foundation down with 1:1 sugar water to encourage them but they still got to it when they felt they were ready but once they started they went wild.  Sorry I could not give you a calendar answer either.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 08:38:45 am »
Your bees are females and like ALL females, they will do it when they darn well feel like doing it and not one minute before. Welcome to the wonderful world of honey bees.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:08 am »
HAHAHA I love the answers ! :lol:

Well ill just have to let them tell me when its time. I know what happens when you try to rush a lady  :rant: :idunno:

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »
I just started feeding them a 1:1 syrup. Incase they needed it.( next feeding would contain some medicine. They are feral.) And because i read it would help them make more wax.

Why are you medicating? If they are ferals the last thing I would do is screw them up with unnecessary medications of any kind. I also dont feed 'incase'. Check on their stores. Then feed 'if' they need it, not 'incase' they need it.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 01:46:22 pm »
The bees are feral and only 1 week outa the hive. so im feeding them so they can have a food soure near them to grow. If they dont need it thell tell me by not useing it. And im not medicating now. Just thought i might for any "bugs" they might have gotten from being in the "wild"

Also im not shure how to tell if were in a derth or not. So i figure why not feed till i get a better handle on things.

Ill check the hive in a week and post whats going on.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 04:11:25 pm »
And im not medicating now. Just thought i might for any "bugs" they might have gotten from being in the "wild"

Bees that have survived "in the wild" without chemical additives are stronger and better adapted to the "bugs" than any bees you could buy.  If you give them chemical treatments, you are just selecting for treatment-resistant "bugs" and failing to select for bug-resistant bees.  Most of the treatments you might use are bad for the colony because they disrupt the micro flora of fungi, bacteria, etc. that inhabit a healthy hive and are necessary for many of the processes that keep the hive in good shape.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »
Well then illl just let them bee. THeve gone this long with out any help right ?

Btw Its SOOO hard to be paitent and wait a week. If wouldent disrupt them id peek in every day !

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:41 pm »
Go watch water boil instead.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:06:27 pm »

or take a rush buss and make observations how quickly girls may paint their foudation.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 01:43:45 am »

or take a rush buss and make observations how quickly girls may paint their foudation.

Huh ?