Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee garden and flowers  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Bee garden and flowers
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:39:31 pm »
I tried to find my old post when I first started the gardens so you can see the difference in the plant sizes (couldnt find it). Anyway here are some updated pictures. Too bad the bees dont go for the columbines. I have lots of them!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee garden and flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:58 pm »
Very nice shawn. Columbines are so graceful,too bad the bees aren't bothering with them. I wonder if they are too deep for the bees.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »
If you look at the side image of the columbines you can see 4 or 5 spiky parts behind the flower. That's where the nectar is. Butterflies and Hummingbirds are the pollinator. They do look pretty. I have several of our native columbines planted. They're a pretty orange and yellow color but I haven't seen anything working them.

Shawn: what are some of the busy plants you have there. I think I see Salvia, or Speed Well.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:18:09 pm »
my mother planted some columbines early in the season and they did pretty good, burned up from the heat now. I never saw any honeybees on them but my mother said she saw some bummble bees on them also a hummingbird every now and then

Nice flowers Shawn

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Right now it is the Salvia and the cat mint, with teh cat mint having more bees than anything. I have some hyssops' but they have not bloomed yet. Hollyholcks are growing but not blomes, russian sage not blomed yet, sunflowers just now coming up, daisies not yet blooming.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:28:13 pm »
Here are some photos I took tyring to use the macro function on the camera. This episode caused me a sting to the eye, posted about it in the general area.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »
Beautiful pictures.  My bombus love the dark blue cultivar of columbine that I grow, the honeybees don't even tough it.  I think that the nectaries are far too deep for the tongue of honeybees, the bombus, well, they are nothing short of amazing!!!  Have a most beautiful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:24:51 pm »
I looked today and saw the cat mint is once covered with bees, probably because most everything else around here is dying. Tried to take some photos but since my last experience I did not want to get stung again in the eye there for did not get close enough so you can see the bees on the plants. Sorry!

anything