Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SBB / Hive beetle trap version 2.0  (Read 11305 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
SBB / Hive beetle trap version 2.0
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:07 pm »
I built some of these last summer when I found SHB in my first hive.  Of course I found that I wanted / needed to make some changes.  I finally got around to knocking off some new and improved ones on this (extremely) rainy afternoon.

I use 8 frame equipment and as you can see a disposable aluminum turkey pan is just about the perfect size for the oil pan - a little deep, but at least it isn't hard to keep from spilling it, and the price is right.

In the old version I had to take out the oil pan to use a sticky board (1/4" blue insulation board with oil on it) for mite counts.  In this one I also put a grove under the bottom to store the sticky board when it isn't in use.

The access door on this one is recessed and is tighter to (hopefully) keep ants from taking up residence in there.  Also, I wanted to have some screened vent holes on this version which you can see.  I didn't really give to much thought about how to close those up when it gets cold.  I guess I'll work that out for ver 3.0

I think that small, well guarded, single entrances should be useful to combat SHB.

As you can see from this inside view that for a beetle to get in (or a beetle larva to get out) it will have to make its way through the tunnel formed by the entrance reducer over the oil pit of death. I haven't tried this yet, but it seems like it should make life harder on the little buggers.  also notice in this shot that the way the SBB is made there isn't any rim around the perimeter of the floor like on most, so more likely that the beetles will tumble in. 

BTW, the ones that I made last year were basically the same idea, and they worked quite well to control the SHB.  Other than the new entrance reducer design all of the changes in this one are mostly just for convenience.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
Re: SBB / Hive beetle trap version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:19 am »
Very cool design David,hopefullyit works as expected-will be looking out for updates......Wish yah all da best 8-)
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:09:53 am »
Very cool design David,hopefullyit works as expected-will be looking out for updates......Wish yah all da best 8-)

Thanks.  Actually I think they are pretty ugly - but not as ugly as a hive infested with beetles.  Do you have Small Hive Beetles in Jamaica?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline MrJeff

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:45:58 am »
I think it is an ingenious design. My only question is about that chipboard you used. Will it hold up to the weather, or will it fail over time? Especially with the weight of a hive on it.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:56:07 am »
David, I think those look pretty good also. I have been looking around for a cheap $ type of pan.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:36:29 am »
  Do you have Small Hive Beetles in Jamaica?

Sure do,I've done a few cut-ot recently and seen a few running for shelter also seen larvae while checking in the combs.Plan to launch an early attack on them with slim CD case/roach bait traps
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:10 am »
I think it is an ingenious design. My only question is about that chipboard you used. Will it hold up to the weather, or will it fail over time? Especially with the weight of a hive on it.

It will probably hold up better than you think, but it is what I call a "developmental prototype"  so I made it out of what I already had scraps of. Once I settle on a final design I'll start making them out of the good stuff.

Nothing last forever though.

Offline MrJeff

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:04:23 pm »

It will probably hold up better than you think, but it is what I call a "developmental prototype"  so I made it out of what I already had scraps of. Once I settle on a final design I'll start making them out of the good stuff.

Nothing last forever though.

I think they call that proof of concept. Sounds good and I hope it works out to genocidal to beetles.

anything