Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: need advice PLEASE  (Read 2649 times)

Offline southTexas

• Brood
need advice PLEASE
« on: July 05, 2009, 05:27:42 pm »
Hi, this is my first posting to the site. i am not a beekeeeper nor do i have any knowledge about it. i have a natural interest and respect for bees. i also live in a rural area of far south Texas where the feral hives are africanized and highly defensive. i dont know of anyone around here who really knows much about bees....they see them as any other pest....just spray them and get rid of them but i know its not that simple. Currently i have a hive, near my barn/work area, that is inside an abandoned metal oblong tank, about 100gallon galvanized pressure-tank. As far as i can see they only have one entry/exit point, where a fitting used to be screwed on. The tank can be cut but is thick-walled and would be noisy and time-consuming. someone told me to plug up the hole and the bees would die inside naturally. (maybe they could be moved instead). I am here for specific advice on this situation, and also how to deal with the africanized bees in general. Im pretty sure they cant be "kept" but someone let me know if im wrong. My neighbour has a hive also under an empty trailer house. someone also told me to light a fire under the tank, but it is in tall grass and mesquite brush so its not going to happen.......anyway....thanks for any advice......

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: need advice PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 06:12:36 pm »
>The tank can be cut but is thick-walled and would be noisy and time-consuming. someone told me to plug up the hole and the bees would die inside naturally. (maybe they could be moved instead). I am here for specific advice on this situation, and also how to deal with the africanized bees in general. Im pretty sure they cant be "kept" but someone let me know if im wrong.

Someone here might show an interest.  I'd post it on several beekeeping forums.

>My neighbour has a hive also under an empty trailer house. someone also told me to light a fire under the tank, but it is in tall grass and mesquite brush so its not going to happen.......anyway....thanks for any advice......

If they are causing you problems, you can just close off the tank and they will suffocate.  I'd hate to see that, of course.  If they are not causing you problems and are not defensive, why not leave them?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:50:55 pm »
I agree with Michael, someone might be up to the challenge of removing and hiving these bees.
I know that some beekeepers in your area have posted about how they keep bees that are fairly agressive.
They wear alot of protection but they can be kept unless they are attacking people for no reason.
I am not sure where they draw the line but hopefully someone will come out to your place to check out the situation.
Keep posting around about it and good luck.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:00:39 am »
Couldnt a local beek swap a "nice" queen for the ferral queen and just wait 6 weeks for all new eggs?............................Well ok more like 2 months for all the eggs to change?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:50:31 am »
a solid metal tank with a single entryway would make for a niiice trapout! I'd set the new hive opposite the cone, just inches away from the end of the cone.

I'll bet the queen would even exit that one...

I'd at least try a trapout.

Re: Africanized... it's in varying degrees now. Some bees are more hostile than others. a lot of people (even in your area) are keeping bees that "might" be Africanized. If they aren't too hot (reactive) then most people keep them. I have bees that might be africanized (I've also gotten rid of a hive that was too mean).
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 02:42:49 am »
Hello South Texas, where exactly in South Texas are you?  I'm in Amarillo so probably can't be of much direct help, but there are quite a few beeks in "south Texas" that might be able to give you some advice or even come see what you have.  If the bees you mention aren't bothering you too much when you are in the general vacinity of their hive they probably aren't AHB and you could just live and let live.  However, if they are bothering you everytime you get close, you may have to destroy them.  I'm sure that isn't a very popular sentiment on this forum, but some times bees just get in the wrong place and no one is willing to get them out so your only option is to avoid the area or get rid of the bees.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:13:06 pm »
you have me tempted. I'm in Austin, how far South Texas?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:55 pm »
you have me tempted. I'm in Austin, how far South Texas?

You just love a good challenge don't you :-D, especially working by yourself, I have to admire you.................sometimes. :-D :-D

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

anything