Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blending Mega Bee with Sugar Water  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Blending Mega Bee with Sugar Water
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:17 pm »
Has anyone had a problem with blending Mega Bee with Sugar Syrup?  It seems that after awhile the Mega Bee settles to the bottom of the container.  (It never really dissolves.)

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Blending Mega Bee with Sugar Water
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
That's a great question, Tucker1. I've also been thinking about how to make the stuff myself. ;)
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »
I think generally when mixing the two,you add enough syrup to the powder to make a dough to form patties.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:16 pm »
I would suggest going to there web site they have instuctions as to how to mix it in syrup. and how to mix it into patties you can even dry feed it. I mix honey instead of syrup and they just mow it down. even if it settles the bees will use the syrup then the y will use the megabee when they get to it

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:27:40 pm »
I mix the mega bee with syrup and mix with my Kitchenaide dough hook.  I keep adding syrup until I like the consistency.  I like mine pretty soft.  I then get a sheet of deli paper put a pound or so on one of the sides (it's got a fold in the middle) and spread it out a little pour a little honey on top to ensure their interest.  Then I fold the paper over the top and go and put it on the hive.

The side of the Mega Bee bag says you can feed it in syrup but I don't see how the supplement is going to stay suspended.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:36:08 am »
  I use allot of mega bee I use a paint mixer on the end of a drill and mix it in a 5 gallon bucket then I feed it in inside feeders and it does stay suspended when I mix patties I use a 40 gallon water trough and I use A grout mixer on the end of a 1/2 inch drill and I mix it until it's the thickness of peanut butter then I put it in wax paper sandwich bags and feed it if you mix it with sugar syrup and the bees don't clean it up right away the patties will eventually get hard and will be hard to clean up however high fructose corn syrup is cooked if you use that the patties won't get hard I have used both and the bees don't seem to care if it's sugar or corn syrup . Hope this helps

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:49:24 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas.  My girls are really working hard right now.  The weather here has been unusually mild with warm midday temperatures. It's good to see them out working hard. Thanks again.

Offline Giddy-up

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:19:49 pm »
Sugar and water syrup must be at least 2 parts sugar to 1 part water for powder to stay in solution in liquid feeding. If syrup is too thin, powder will settle out.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:20:28 am »
Thanks, Giddy-up.  That makes perfect sense.  I've had a problem with the Mega-Bee settling and not staying uniformly suspended in the syrup. I'll give this a try.

Regards,
Tucker1

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »
All I do is sprinkle little bit right out of the bag on top of the frames and feed 1 to 1 sugar syrup, when they stop feeding, I stop.

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:19:22 pm »
I am having problems with the bees taking the syrup- i dont have a suspension problem.  Last fall they really took down plain syrup.  the maples are blooming now and they are beginning to bring in pollen.  I wonder that could be the cause for them not taking the megabee syrup.

Also the bees seem to be a little nasty-  hopefully that will change once the dandelions bloom

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:50:03 pm »
In my eyes, if they don't eat it, they don't need it. I sprinkle on top of the brood frames only, drawn or not, it's worked out well so far.