Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Jersey says no tax break for you beekeepers  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
New Jersey says no tax break for you beekeepers
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:54:06 pm »
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071028/NEWS/710280430

Their property taxes are more than my yearly income. Wow.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: New Jersey says no tax break for you beekeepers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:35:32 pm »
As a NJ resident, anyone who can afford to pay $1 million per acre doesn't need a tax break for some hives, especially if they're paying for lawn service to keep it all mowed, too.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:52:42 pm »
This will hurt a lot of small farmettes and put more pressure on develpment versus green acres. This has always been a loophole for "rich "farmers, but it also greatly helped the real farmer too. Unfortunately, the courts could have decided this case on diff issues and spared beekeepers. Municipalities fight a homeowner from getting this status b/c they lose money.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:36:02 pm »
If they're growing crops or anything else for sale, they'll be just fine. But putting a few hives in your yard and keeping a 5 acre manicured lawn hardly seems to justify a tax break...seems like an attempt to game the system to save money on taxes.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:37:44 am »
If they're growing crops or anything else for sale, they'll be just fine. But putting a few hives in your yard and keeping a 5 acre manicured lawn hardly seems to justify a tax break...seems like an attempt to game the system to save money on taxes.
One persons loophole is anothers necessity. I understand your point. Many wealthy homeowners cut $500 worth of timber or plant some soybeans to comply w/ statute, when they're not really farmers. Small farms are becoming the norm in NJ. This will definately hurt down here in south jersey This case will be used to begin to zone out bee keeping. Its already happening in Bergen county. The courts simply could have decided they didnt have sufficient agricultural use even w/ the bees. Now they'll plant some christmas trees and comply and get their tax break anyways and no bees would be needed.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:11:23 am »
I surely agree about the $1 million an acre - that is still the average property in larger bundle - for retirement villages. But one acre properties are nearly extinct here.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything