Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: JP did it this time  (Read 18034 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
JP did it this time
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:12 pm »
In one of my removal stories, JP opened his mouth and ..........an idea came out of it. A good one. What is this forum coming to! :)

I am more than willing to exploit this idea. So I did.

Here is an idea for the logo on a shirt. I have put in small print beemaster.com under the quote. And since this is Jon's forum, remember he is still Grand Puba. I won't put this on Cafe Press unless he says so. I can always remove that beemaster.com part. But I figure what the hell let's do a shameless plug.  Of course suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome. Any comments on how crappy I am at photoshopping will be dealt with by my sending you lots of AHB queens.

Sorry for the larger image but I wanted it visible and didn't want a thumbnail.

I put this here(admin forum) because it involves the beemaster name. If it needs to be moved that is fine. But this is not your normal topic.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:36:54 pm by Understudy »
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kev

• House Bee
Re: JP did it this time
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:58:46 pm »
You might want to put a ? instead of an ! after Got a Swarm

kev

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:10:07 pm »
You might want to put a ? instead of an ! after Got a Swarm

kev

Done!

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:48:17 pm »
Maybe a pic or illustration of bees swarming into a nuc so people don't get the wrong idea we're trying to "nuke" them. Maybe on the back, if it was a t-shirt. Yes, we can have fun with this one. Do I get a free shirt for coming up with the idea, or at least a discount? Brendhan, gotta say, that what you've come up with so far is pretty cool!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:17:56 pm »
Maybe a pic or illustration of bees swarming into a nuc so people don't get the wrong idea we're trying to "nuke" them. Maybe on the back, if it was a t-shirt. Yes, we can have fun with this one. Do I get a free shirt for coming up with the idea, or at least a discount? Brendhan, gotta say, that what you've come up with so far is pretty cool!

...JP

I kinda like the idea of the inside joke. Beekeepers know what a nuc is. Vanillas think it refers to a bomb. Love those double meanings.

I figured I would charge you double. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 03:33:16 pm »

...JP

I kinda like the idea of the inside joke. Beekeepers know what a nuc is. Vanillas think it refers to a bomb. Love those double meanings.

I figured I would charge you double. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Double!! Well, I'll just have to run down and copyright the idea! Last time I have a brainfart over one of your dern swarm catches!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 04:49:18 pm »
PERFECT don't change anything

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:06:46 pm »
Just make sure they come in small, and XXL - we'll be ordering two!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 05:39:23 pm »
Yep, I'll take ten XXL, thank you.

...JP

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 05:47:37 pm »
Brendhan:

I've mulled over the Tee-Shirt Idea for a long time as a good FUND RAISER and come up with several great (my opinion of course) ideas, but never put them to print. The cost of printing small quantities, or made to order drop shipping has been the obstacle most often.

I have a "spin-off" catch-phrase (someday I reveal  :-P ) that would be a hit (I'm positive) among this group and any beekeeper - that with a simple logo, or the various ones I've drawn up on the PC would truly sell nicely, but when shirts cost at about what you MIGHT get selling it, it gets down to whether it is worth it or not.

I've been to cafepress and priced tees and the best deal I found (with bulk discount) is $9 even. Not to forget the extra $3 for double X and larger. There IS room for profit, but then again, that is sticking with JUST ONE SIZE and buying in bulk, to have a selection of sizes and get a bulk rate would be very expensive, creating inventory, etc..

I hope this comes out right, it is meant kindly: I like your "Nuc" theme very much, nice double entendre if I ever saw one, but I really can't endorse products (well.... I'm sure I can) but although the exposure is nice, I'd really prefer NOT having Beemaster.com on the shirts. Of course, that doesn't mean you CAN'T do it, it's just my preference. Again, if the numbers ever crunched, tee-shirts would be a great fund raiser, but the layout of money for quantity creates a very costly "sale" value - I don't think many people would pay $20+ for a tee-shirt, which would barely cover the cost of the product and the cost of shipping. Selling shirts at or near cost is a kind gesture, but very labor intensive, and I know the drop shipping options, but still lots of work.

I'd like to see a "number cruncher" figure a way to balance all this out, but it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman drive the mail truck out of state to cash in on recyclable cans and bottles, the math just don't work unless you take it to extremes. I don't doubt there are local print shops willing to meet a more sensible price, but I don't think Cafepress (or similar online printers I've looked at) are willing to meet logical pricing. Seems cafepress is ideal for bowling leagues, other sports teams and groups heading for THE PRICE IS RIGHT, but they really scalp you on the resale markup, no matter what your goals.

Great logo and tee-shirt idea, but I just can't endorse beemaster.com on it, please don't take that any way other than meant - I really strive for commercial free, you know that and I'm a stubborn old cuss  :roll: Thanks though for thinking about us, exposure is a great thing, but I think the best exposure might be simple printed business cards (I'll post my jpg which has 10 cards per sheet) for anyone willing to hand these out at beekeeping clubs and organizations. Something as simple as that is likely to gain more membership than most other ideas and the cost is just a few sheets of paper and the cost (those rip-off artists) "ink" for a printer and a pair of scissors.

I'll get looking in the PC here and find the Beemaster Card Template for anyone interested :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 05:59:53 pm »
Jon,

First and foremost. Thanks for the quick feedback. I wasn't sure how busy you are so getting back this quick is appreciated.

I was never looking for a profit operation on this. It was just that the idea came up in the forums so I figure why not throw some credit that way.

I will see what I can do about a number crunch. The reason for cafe press was they will do one shirt or 200 shirts. On a per order basis. Normally when I have had to do shirts for  theater I have to pay screen fees and order a minimum number of shirts. I figured why not try this. I will delve further into this.

I completely understand not endorsing this. But that is why I ran it here first. It is not a worry.

As far as the business cards for the PBC Beekeepers I did one image on jpeg and posted it up and told members to put it into their business card software. And they could copy the image 10 times to fill the template. So if you have one toss it up and I will be more than happy to print some out.

Now I have to run off some numbers in a calculator.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 06:26:28 pm »
Brendhan:

I sure didn't mean "profit" in a bad way (we are capitalist after all) I just meant it seems to be a break-even thing at best, I'm sure you figured that out? I'd hate to see anyone lose their shirts  :roll: while cafepress or anyone else made a winfall.

About getting back so quickly, I just saw your post in POSTS SINCE LAST VISITED, I didn't pay any attention when your post was made, sometimes it just works out like that :) Hit that calculator and see what you come up with, I'm really interested in hard data - Robo has mentioned them before, that is why I've checked them out and (as you said) they can print a wide range of quanity, they just need to be more generous in their bulk numbers. Good luck :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 07:14:14 pm »
You are right on the prices.

The base price is $9.00 for a value t-shirt.
Other shirts base value goes up from there.

Even if I added $1.00 to the base price I think I could keep the shirts under $20.00 except for the Organic t shirt when you went with an XL or larger which would be in $21.00 price range. The simple aspect on this is to not choose shirts with a base price over $18.00 or shirts the design really doesn't work on.

As you have said you want to keep beemaster commercial free and I have a great deal of respect for that. And I don't want to blemish the idea or image behind the forums. I   can remove the logo without an issue. It is not worth the forums reputation over T shirt design.

I don't think the bulk idea is really feasible here. If 30 shirts sell that would be great but it would also be amazing. :)

White T            14.99
Women's light T    15.99
Women's T-Shirt    14.99
Yellow T-Shirt     14.99
Green T-Shirt      15.99
Fitted T-Shirt     16.99
Organic T          17.99
Men Sleeveless T   15.99
Light T-Shirt      15.99
Value T-Shirt       9.99

All prices reflect a $1 over cost. for XL or larger it would be an addition $3.00.

I am not to worried about the money cafe press is making because they have to do all the work. I just put up the shirt and the design.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 07:56:33 pm »
FWIW, Backyard Chickens sold their shirts for $20 apiece and sold out - I don't think they went through Cafe Press, though.  If anyone wants I can check with Rob, the site owner, to find out where he got them.

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 07:57:53 pm »
WELLLLL PRINT THE ORDER FORM.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 08:10:54 pm »
FWIW, Backyard Chickens sold their shirts for $20 apiece and sold out - I don't think they went through Cafe Press, though.  If anyone wants I can check with Rob, the site owner, to find out where he got them.

I went to their site. They are using an OS Commerce site through a backend site called http://www.coopedup.net/store/

If you can check with the site owner that would be awesome.

What I don't want is to have to stock a bunch of material and ship it out. I have enough to deal with on just Permacomb. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 10:44:46 pm »
Brendhan, I have found these people to be price competitive and very flexible.

http://www.casamariausa.com/

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 10:56:49 pm »
Brendhan, I have found these people to be price competitive and very flexible.

http://www.casamariausa.com/

Steve

I looked at it
They are doing about $13.00 for the fast T-Shirts minus shipping.
The digital shirts are $120.00 for 2000 shirts that is a bit many. I don't really want to haven't find room for that many shirts.
It's not a bad site but I don't think the deal is that good for me. The deal with Cafe Press is I don't end up with anything in my house collecting dust.

I think the bes bet may be to put up the shirts on Cafe Press without the Beemaster.com logo on it. Jon has worked very hard at keeping this commercial free.
I respect Jon a great deal so if he isn't thrilled with the numbers that is what I will do.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 12:06:54 am »
I am interested in a t shirt

Annette

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 01:05:30 am »
At a trade show I saw a t-shirt (any fabric really) printer and press. Runs just like a computer printer then you heat seal the ink to make it permanent. I will gladly house the machine and print the t's if anyone wants to ship the unit here. :-D :-D

We should be able to find someone with a start up silk screening business who can do a short run for the experience. People are starting these businesses all the time.

Not much value to my rambling but I like the idea of the "conversation starter" t-shirts.

I would order one.

Steve

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 12:49:58 pm »
Brendhan, I've contacted Rob (BYC owner) and I'll let you know what he says.

Ok, here's his reply:

Hey Ann,

I used these guys for the first run: http://www.expertshirt.com

You may want to check these guys out too: http://www.4imprint.com

Both will send you samples.  Just find the shirt and color you want and they will send you one.

Prices are listed on both sites.

Tell them Rob Ludlow sent you, especially if you talk to someone at expertshirt (ask for Missie)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:09 pm »
Brendhan, I've contacted Rob (BYC owner) and I'll let you know what he says.

Ok, here's his reply:
reinbeau, I appreciate you getting in contact with him. I went to both sites.
Hey Ann,

I used these guys for the first run: http://www.expertshirt.com
I understand why he switch companies this may qualify as one of the worst websites ever. (Warning if you use excessive amounts of flash for code on your site it sucks. if your site is difficult to navigate it sucks).

You may want to check these guys out too: http://www.4imprint.com

Both will send you samples.  Just find the shirt and color you want and they will send you one.

Prices are listed on both sites.

Tell them Rob Ludlow sent you, especially if you talk to someone at expertshirt (ask for Missie)

The second site is better but this is the issue. I am not going to do a minimum order of anything and have them sit in my house. I know that is a stubborn attitude but I am not going to add more clutter and then have to deal with having shirts shipped here and then have to worry about shipping them out. I have a full time job and Permacomb is keeping me busy enough.

What I am going to do is put them up on Cafe Press like I had mentioned earlier and remove the beemaster logo. The shirts cost a bit more than if I ordered them in bulk but this keeps things as simple as possible and this wasn't a get rich quick scheme. There is an added convenience for me because I don't have boxes of shirts in the house. Or having to worry about getting orders out and track them and make sure they get there in one piece.

I will come up with a cafe press link in a little while.

Reinbeau, I do appreciate you getting in contact with BYC site owner. If I had no other jobs and more free time I wouldn't mind. But in the meanwhile I will just have to go with the KISS principle.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »
Okay here we go.

http://www.cafepress.com/brendhan

If you want me to expand the range of clothes that is fine but I wanted to keep it under $20.00 .

I have a $1.00 markup over the cost of the shirts. So again i not doing this for the money I just thought it was a cool idea.

JP I will send you one if you let me know which one you want.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »
uhh, JP wants the pink one brendan. Just kidding JP. :-D :-D :-D
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 10:02:03 pm »
With the frilly lace on the collar. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 01:09:39 am »

Yes, I would like a pink one Josh, it would go well with my new black mini dress and knee highs!  :-*

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 01:15:45 am »
Okay here we go.

If you want me to expand the range of clothes that is fine but I wanted to keep it under $20.00 .

I have a $1.00 markup over the cost of the shirts. So again i not doing this for the money I just thought it was a cool idea.

JP I will send you one if you let me know which one you want.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I will be getting the light blue in XXL. You've done a nice job putting this in action Brendhan!

...JP

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 02:31:00 am »
PM your address.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 02:35:09 am »
PM your address.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I will order one just like everyone else. You have done all of the leg work. Thanks for offering though.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 02:36:15 am »
I just ordered a pink one. What fun

Thanks Brendhan
Annette

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »
Collective amazement once again. I like you guys more than my neighbors! I will definitely get one.
Understudy-just as a thank you for your efforts and your kindness to JP, I will pay for yours! Pick one out or pm your addy so I can mail you some money or the shirt. Your choice!
you Know who!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 01:22:36 am »
Well somewhere along the time line. I had my little cafe press shop with the t shirts and didn't think much about it. Hell it has been almost three years.

Well I got my first commission check last week for a whopping $25.98. I was surprised I didn't really expect anything to ever come of this except it was a cute idea. Then I noticed that a bunch of the shirts went to people in England. So I did a little checking and I found this.

http://twitter.com/#!/UEAHoneyBeeMan/status/18960865726300160

Wow, I was impressed. That lead to this:

http://ueabks.drupalgardens.com/blog

And he liked my shirt. :)

Thanks Stewart and friends.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:10 am »
Are your shirts still on cafe press? If so could you pm me the link?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:47 am »
Are your shirts still on cafe press? If so could you pm me the link?

anything