Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to switch hive bodies  (Read 2484 times)

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
When to switch hive bodies
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:03:37 pm »
Coming out of winter in decent shape.  On warm days bees bringing in a little pollen

Current weather in SE pennsylvania is 50s for highs and high 30s- low 40s for lows, pretty much the same over the next 10 days.  Rainy next 2-3 days cloudy the rest of time.

On flying days all my bees are crowded around trying to get into the small top entrance.  Really a lot of congestion. No traffic in the bottom entrance.

My questions is- when to switch hive bodies? (switch top and bottom hive bodies).  i was going to wait till I have nice sunny day in low 60s (Probably within 10 days or so).  Do a thorough inspection at the same time.

Second question: what is a good way to feed Megabee at this point?-- dont want to make patties-- will just be food for SHB.  Hate to make 2:1 syrup but i guess that is my only real option to keep it suspended.

Currently bees are feeding  I think now primarily off of supplemental candy i provided in January (was candy there 2 weeks ago).

Thanks

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: When to switch hive bodies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:41:58 pm »
Whenever it gets warm enough there to do your inspection and see how they stand, you can decide if you want to switch your brood chamber around or not.  I do little feeding and down here I can feed sugar water if needed all winter.  I give mine some sugar water for spring build up.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »
My questions is- when to switch hive bodies? (switch top and bottom hive bodies).

not when.  why?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »
Like Kathy. WHY? Maybe to put the heat that rises in an empty box so the brood will chill?

But to answer your question, May or June, only if there is NO brood in the bottom.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:29 pm »
When you said they weren't going in the bottom entrance the first thing that popped in my mind was "blocked" by dead bees. Just thinking out loud.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 01:07:38 am »
why?
http://basicbeekeeping.blogspot.com/2011/01/lesson-93-rotating-hive-bodies-in.html
In "Hive Management" by Bonney (which points out why to do reversing) it does point out that if you reverse too early that you have the empty box to heat, as suggested by you all.  He also suggests that to wait until significant nectar flow--ie. about the time the dandelions bloom.

Then there is the danger of splitting the brood.
 I guess overly anxious from the long cold winter and happy the bees made it through.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 02:56:10 am »
 I was going to suggest to wait until things start blooming and temps get warm. After that, if the top box is full and the queen hasn't moved down, then do the switch.
It's spring, so it shouldn't be but a few more weeks to figure it out.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:21:04 pm »
What do you expect to accomplish by switching the hive bodies is the question. Not sure there is really any benefit. Has anyone here seen benefits to switching the boxes? Disturbing the brood nest during buildup would only set you back I would think.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:38:11 pm »
I've never seen a reason to switch boxes. My bees have always moved down on their own. May not always be the case though