Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eeewe, slugs and propolis  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Eeewe, slugs and propolis
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:18:30 am »
Last week while I was doing the honey harvest, in the front entrance of one of the colonies was an enormous blob of propolis, or so I thought.  I thought this rather strange, because it honestly has not been that cold that they would want to close up their entrance.  I removed the propolis blob and saved it.  I was looking at this rather odd looking thing, and a recollection of reading about how honeybees will embalm "things" that are too big for them to remove from their hive.

A slug!!!  What else would be so big that would be sitting in the front entrance, the inability of the bees to remove such a monstrosity was clearly was what going on here.  They must have stung this unsuspecting blob of the blob to death and then mummified it.

We had my Cousin and her Husband over for dinner and a dance party, along with my Sister and her Husband on Saturday, last, and of course, I brought out my propolis blob to show them.  They were astounded by this and were intrigued.....say no more.  This blob got passed around from hand to hand, as it warmed from each person's hand, the blob became more soft and more soft, until it almost dripped off the last person's hand  :evil: ;) :) :) :).  I love to gross people out.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, love this life we live and share.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Eeewe, slugs and propolis
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:43:26 am »
Looks like dog poo in your hand :-D I have a bad problem with slug's this year I spray them with ammonia and water mix. The wife made me stop using firecracker's
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:19:38 pm »
The wife made me stop using firecracker's

Cindi, I do like the way your mind works!  I've found dried up slugs on my sbb but none covered in propolis yet! OOOhhh Irwin, I hadn't thougt of firecrackers!! :evil: Sounds like fun! I make "slug taverns"  When we went to clean out Dad's garage he had 3 cases of cheap beer.  I just pour some into plastic things I'm gonna throw away anyways, butter, yogurt, ice cream, whatever.  Leave em out for a couple of days till full then toss.  DON'T leave them for more than a week or wheeweeee, they smell lke Cindi's slug looks!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
Looks like dog poo in your hand :-D I have a bad problem with slug's this year I spray them with ammonia and water mix. The wife made me stop using firecracker's

Firecrackers that's awesome never would have thought of that control method

Keith

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:19:23 am »
Yea just stick one on it's back they stick real good then light and turn REAL fast it's to much fun :-D :-D :-D

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 01:53:44 pm »
Well, gonna have to try that!  I'll wait till my Daughters are both here for some family fun. Maybe I'll invite my Brother too, he loves things that go boom & splat..& FIRE!  My Stepdaughter is rapidly becoming as warped & depraved as the rest of my Family!!  BWAHAHAHA :evil: :-D  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline MarkF

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 02:03:39 pm »
Resistance is futile Stepdaughter :evil:
Sting me once shame on you!
Sting me twice I guess I should have learned faster!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:37:26 am »
Good old family fun :-D :-D :-D :evil:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:28:20 pm »
Oh geez Cindi!!!
THAT is one of the coolest things i've seen!!!
Its sooo disgusting!!!
My eyes almost popped out :shock: when the picture downloaded!
Ok,....I CANT STOP LAFFING!!!!!! I went back and looked at it again!!!
Its a terd on a plate!!! :-D :-D :-D
What was for desert???
Oh gosh.......This is a "GUT BUSTER!!!"
I cant wait to show Janelle!!!
 Cindi, you made my day!!!......(Got anymore stuff like this?).heh heh heh ...

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D......Your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:29:52 pm »
Bill Murray would just plop that thing in his mouth and say what's the big deal?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »
Huuhhhhheeeehhheeaawwwwww!!!!
I CANT STOP LAFFIN!!!!!!!

Just showed my son!!!!
 I cant get the image out of my head from your friends passin' this "Thing" around to each other!!!
 I bet it would steam if it was outside when it is cold!!
HAARRRGHHHHH!!!!!
your friend,
john

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:06:35 pm »
Harrr harrrharrrrgghhh!!!!
I just showed Janelle!!!...She says( to be exact).."Looks like dog poo!"
I thought for a second Irwin was looking over my shoulder!!!
And, not to mention...."Plopping"???
Haaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!

your friend,
john

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:27:42 am »
I was John :-D :-D :evil:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:40:43 am »
OK, so this grossed you all out, made you laugh, and MORE!!!  Well, you ain't heard nuthin' yet!!!  (this one if for your Johnny, hee, hee).

We have been busy as old get out getting ready for my family reunion that we hold each year for my Mother's side of the family.  She comes from a family of 9 children, all those children had children and and then some of those children have been old enough to have children (eeks, the more I type "children" the weirder that name becomes).  Anyways, picture that, there is alot of my family that comes over.  It poured rain the entire day and night, so there were a few of the "not die hards" like some of us, that did not come.

I had left that dog poo looking blob of propolis on a plate in the kitchen and yes, people were very interested to look at it.  Some probably just thought I was a little stranger than they really thought I was and didn't bother to look.  I am sure that they thought, with all the dogs running around here, that now I was gathering dog poo.

Well, my Brother next in years down from me called me over.  He asked what in the devil was I doing with this crap on a plate.  I explained to him that it was a propolised slug.  He didn't believe me.  So I touched it to show him the consistency of this blob.  Well, I almost fell over and thought that the earth was coming to an end.

This propolis blob had turned to what I thought may be described as dirt, or dog poo.  It no longer had the hard, sticky feeling of how propolis feels.  It was kind of crumbly.  So, now I am getting rather worried.  What on earth had happened to my beautiful blob of a propolis slug.....how on earth could the consistency have changed in such a short time.  I had shown people earlier how it looked, how pliable it was when it was warmed in the hand and now it had changed to a dirt blob.

I was thunderstruck!!!  Seriously!!!  I cannot think of any other way to describe my feelings of perplexity.

My Husband was outside cooking 72 hamburgers, I knew he would be way, way to interested too to see what had happened to my beautiful blob of propolis slug.  I showed him this, I touched it, I made the blob crumble.  And it had no scent (yes, I checked to see if it was turned to dog poo).  The best I could describe the scent of it now, instead of the beautiful scent of propolis that takes me in my mind's eye, to a great picnic in the bush and trees, was perhaps dirt, earth -- it had kind of an earthy smell (no, did not smell like dog poo).

Then.....my Husband just shook his head and carried on with cooking his burgers.  That is a very serious job for him, and he must ready many burgers (by the way, all the burgers were eaten, with people crying for their third, wah, wah, go and eat some potato salad and the two chiles I made, one vegetarian and one chock fulled of hamburger).  Ooops, off topic.....

I was still wandering around, like I was in a daze, trying to figure out how Mother Nature had done such a nasty to me, and altered this beautiful propolis slug (I keep wanting to type frog, that is weird, thank goodness the truth comes out.....slug).

Well, wouldn't you know it!!!  My Chilean Brother-in-Law comes to me and begins to laugh.  How dare he?!!!!  He had that evil look on his face and I know that some kind of trickstering has been in the workings.  He is the one that made me reach in his pocket one day last summer and there was the most horrible feeling thing in there, it felt like a blob of jelly (it was a patch one puts on their back to help with pain), he had gone in swimming in our pool and had forgotten it and it had turned to jelly.  He is a trickster and I love every minute of it, eventually!!!

He pulled out of his pocket (oh those frigging pockets) something wrapped up in some saran wrap.  It was my propolised slug.  Oh that dude!!!!  What more could I do than laugh my guts out.  He saw me wandering around, deep in the deepest thoughts of the alteration of my beautiful propolis slug, and could stand it no more.  Oh what a brat (he is almost as bad as JP for surely, don't ever let those two get together).  What is it about me that people love to tease.......but I love every minute of it.  Guess I am just that mark, hee, hee.

So, I am whole, I am complete, I have my propolis slug back, she had not turned into a big blog of stuff that still resembled dog poo.  Oh these people in my life that make me laugh, I am a lucky woman!!!  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, love our lives we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:01:13 am »
Ok, time to get it bronzed and placed in a display case, for all the world to see.

...JP ;)

PS: Glad to see you are complete again. I can see you off in some room talking to your turdy propolis slug telling it where have you been and that "you complete me"!

Bahahaahahaahaahahaahaahahahah!!!!!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 11:19:59 am »
JP, oh you make me wanna laugh.......

Now, if Brian Bray had this hunk of propolised slug over at his house, you can bet your bottom dollar that it would be speaking to him.  You know he can decipher sounds that his animals make to words in the human language, maybe I'll send it off to him, maybe he has my green snips now too!!!  Beautiful most wonderful day, love to live this great life we share.  Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:04 pm »
Oh boy Cindi!!!
I have this stupid looking grin permanently stuck on my face now!
 I have a plecostomus I named "Headly".
 I think we should name your slug "Terdly"!

:-D

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 09:58:38 am »
John, what a picture you have painted  :roll: 8-).  I see you with that grin stuck on your face, too funnnnneeee, and oh yes, you make me wanna laugh!!!  I think terdly is a great name for the slug, by the way, hee, hee.  Have that most wonderful and awesomely greatest of a day.  Cindi

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 03:23:51 pm »
When I lived in Indiana we had lots of slugs crawling around the yard, sidewalks, and on the side of the house. Just pour a little salt on them and watch the slime start pouring off of them. They will die within minutes after a little salt.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 12:14:28 am »
That propolized slug looks more deep fried than mummified. 
Cindi, dead things don't talk to me, only living breathing animals along with an occasional human.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!