Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WET LOOK  (Read 3686 times)

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
WET LOOK
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:08:57 pm »
CAN'T FIND IT THE POSTINGS BUT I READ SOMETIME BACK ABOUT WHAT CAUSES THE WET GREASY LOOK ON FRAMES. SOME ONE REFRESH ME. I THINK I HAVE THIS PROBLEM NOW. COLVIN
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
WET LOOK
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:12:11 pm »
Wet greasy looking cappings in the honey super are normal as are white cappings.  One just has a bit of air under the cap and the other does not.

Wet greasy BROOD cappings are a sign of brood diseases or old brood comb that has been abondoned because it got chilled.  Especially if they are pierced cappings, I'd do a matchstick/rope test for AFB.  If I found ropey brood, I'd do a holst milk test for AFB.  If that was positive I'd send some of it to Beltsville for a positive ID.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline downunder

• House Bee
WET LOOK
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:10:20 pm »
Do you have Small Hive Beetle?

If you do then that is what it will be.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
WET LOOK
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 04:01:35 pm »
Does this grease have any foul odor?  Do the combs with this grease smell like:
rancid meat=AFB
Small Hive Beetle Larvae=NAUSIATINGLY ROTTEN oranges

I have never smelled AFB, so that's coming out a book's experiences and not mine but, I can back up from MULTIPLE experiences about the smell of SHB larvae.  THEY STINK!

Offline hiptfarms

• New Bee
WET LOOK
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:19:14 pm »
small hive beetles make the frames look wet  - shortly followed up by waxmoth and fireant infestation and then a state of depression on the part of the beekeeper.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
WET LOOK
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 01:57:48 am »
My frames have wet looking pollen, but it smells nice.  Kinda startled me when I first saw a whole frame of pollen all greay looking, but it smelled great so no worries.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
WET LOOK
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 03:20:43 am »
The damp looking pollen is actually a mixture of pollen, honey, and other substances excreted by the bees for the feeding of brood and usually called bee bread.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: WET LOOK
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:41:44 pm »
Looks ok to me
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon