Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mann lake bulk patty purchase  (Read 1835 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
mann lake bulk patty purchase
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:44 pm »
lets re visit my mann lake •Bulk patty purchase! i bought 2 cases of it = 135 lbs total
 mann lake item : www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=mannlake&Screen=DISP_INFO&Product_Code=FD-330&ajax=true

and a  few of you said you used them and froze the unused portion. my question is did you form a patty first and then froze them or just froze the whole box? for those who never used the bulk product, its 45 lbs of Soft Patty material whole!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: mann lake bulk patty purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:48:53 pm »
The word "Bulk", would have real meaning in your purchase.
I would make patty's first, then freeze. Easier to handle made up ahead of time.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:09:07 am »
Yeap, would have to agree with Tefer2.  Form into patties ready to use and freeze.

Joe

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:08:49 am »
Comparisons of pollen substitute diets for
honey bees: consumption rates by colonies
and effects on brood and adult populations.

Gloria DeG rand iHoffmanh*, Gordon Wardell', Fabiana Ahumada-Segura', Thomas Rinderer3, Robert Danka3
and Jeff Pettis4 2008

ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/.../1/IND44152210.pdf

Those are interesting results. Patty feeding giuves bigger worker amount than pollen cake feeding. Nutrition content must be stoger in patty stuff.

Discussion
Pollen substitute diets can be effective in stimulating honey beecolonies to rear brood (Mattila and Otis, 2006; Nabors, 2000;Standifer et al., 1973), but they must be both palatable to beesand nutritious. All diets tested here with the exception of Diet- I,were similar to pollen cake in their consumption by bees.However, not all diets were equally effective in stimulating broodrearing or population growth of adult bees. Diet-2, Diet-3 andpollen were consumed at equivalent rates in both Trials. In Trial I,however, significantly more brood was reared and there werelarger adult populations in colonies fed Diet-3 patties comparedwith those fed the other diets. These results suggest thatdifferences in the nutritional quality of the diets (i.e., amounts ofprotein and carbohydrate) and perhaps the digestibility andaccessibility of their nutrients to worker bees influence theamount of brood that can be reared even when consumptionrates are similar.
In addition to nutritional

Language barrier NOT included

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »
lets re visit my mann lake •Bulk patty purchase! i bought 2 cases of it = 135 lbs total
 mann lake item : www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=mannlake&Screen=DISP_INFO&Product_Code=FD-330&ajax=true

and a  few of you said you used them and froze the unused portion. my question is did you form a patty first and then froze them or just froze the whole box? for those who never used the bulk product, its 45 lbs of Soft Patty material whole!

how did you feed this -I tried this product for a comparison with a higher protein based feed
 when i feed this it was in 5 pound servings - three rounds-to use this style of product in a small patty is a waste
i found consumption to be a little slow but am quite pleased with the bees i have as a result of feeding large portions
as the product is designed to be used--I found this to be a cost efective feed-my trail run of this product was 1800lbs
and i will feed it again-RDY-B