Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Additions  (Read 3439 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
New Additions
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:35:43 am »
My wife surprised me for my birthday Tuesday.  I found myself traveling to pick up two peahens and a juvenile peacock, and a 6-year old peacock.  They are getting used to our place rather well. 

http://www.cit.macc.edu/~dpence/peafowl/

The rafters of my shed are not the best for them, but the aviary is almost finished so will be moving them this week. 

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: New Additions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:46:12 am »
Peacocks are very cool birds and what a birthday present!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:10:44 am »
They are beautiful birds, aren't they? :)  I wish I had the room for them.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:00:16 am »
Oh David, what beauties, holy smokes!!!  It is hard to imagine that they could fly up to the rafters like that, is that how they like to roost, so high?  Is a peahen the female version of a peacock?  I think I have got a little mixed up with my breed of birds.  I thought the peahen was a guinea hen, oh brother, guess totally wrong.  Beautiful pictures, by the way.  Have that great day, to love and live, share with good heath.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17:07 am »
Cindi, peahens are the females.

Hey David, please let us know when the noise the bleep's (peacocks) make drives you crazy. I like their noise personally but after a while it may get to be a little much, maybe not, but man, they are loud!

...JP
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:31:05 pm by JP »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:55:59 am »
Cindi, peahens are the females.

Hey David, please let us know when the noise the bleep's make drives you crazy. I like their noise personally but after a while it may get to be a little much, maybe not, but man, they are loud!

...JP

Thus the need for space - my neighbors would absolutely run me out on a rail if I got peacocks!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:07:53 pm »
They are vocal for sure, we love the sound.  BTW we have guineas too, we or rather out two old hens hatched 23 keets earlier this year and we sold a few.  They kinda whistle right now, still young. 

I understand the neighbor thing...LOL.  Right now the peacocks are most vocal in the morning and late evening however the mating season is not in full swing.   Certainly I will try to post a audio clip if I can catch it, they truly are "loud"....

David

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:15:55 pm »
Is your yard fairly isolated from nearby neighbors?
If they haven't complained about the guineas they probably won't care about the peacocks.
Congratulations and Happy Birthday. I think our birthdays were the same day 7/21  last week weren't they?

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
Yes, I believe you are right Natalie.  I'm a 59 model...LOL.  We live in a small town where livestock is common.  I won't say hick town but you know what I mean.

David