Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you bottle your honey?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
How do you bottle your honey?
« on: October 21, 2005, 04:24:20 pm »
I understand making sure everyting is clean and sterilized (i.e. honey bucket, extractor, knife, bottles, etc.).  My main question is, "Is it nessesary to pasteurize honey and do a boil/steam seal on the jars like one wouls preserves?"  I have a harvest comming up this week and all the books I've read make no refference to this.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 05:20:02 pm »
You don't need to "can" your honey.  If you want, you can buy shrink wrap seals for your jar tops.  Otherwise, make sure your containers are clean and dry and just screw on your lids.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 05:59:01 pm »
I dont boil mine due to I sell pure honey and I also dont can it either. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 07:33:57 pm »
Ok, I wasn't sure if the Hydrogen Peroxide in the honey, alchohols, and general acidity were enough to prevent pathogenic infestation...thanks.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 08:52:30 pm »
Nathan,
All I do when I get my jars is, run them (and their lids) through the dishwasher (my wife says "you don't know who touched those") and then open the honey gate and fill the jars and then put the lids on. I don't order the saftey seals for the lids but they are available from most of the supply houses that make the jars available if you want to use them.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 10:04:30 pm »
>"Is it nessesary to pasteurize honey and do a boil/steam seal on the jars like one wouls preserves?"

Not necesarry.  IMO it's a bad idea to heat honey.  It tastes SOOOOOOO much better if you don't.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:39:45 pm »
Ok...thanks for the advice.  I know that heating honey can delay crystalization but it can also destroy flavor so I was wondering if I should have or not.  Thanks for all the info.  Unfortunately, given hurricane Wilma is comming close in the next few days, I'll have to wait on collecting honey untill Tuesday.