Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extractor motor  (Read 1926 times)

Offline GTBee

• New Bee
extractor motor
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:02:44 pm »
Hello All,
I was able to procure what I believe a used extractor.  I believe it is just big enough for two frames with a large stainless steel holding tank.  It was originally motor driven but does not have the motor.  All the pullies etc are there.  Can anyone tell me what type of electric motor to buy?  hp, rpm, phase etc?

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
Re: extractor motor
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:20:07 pm »
Who made the extractor, does it have a two belt drive system, more info would help. But if it is one of the older Maxants type with a two belt drive system with a large thumb screw clutch on top between the two belts then

I would say you need a fractional horsepower motor 1/3HP or 1/2HP 1725RPM 110volt single phase.

If it is a two belt system and you didn't get the motor drive pulley with the extractor then get a pulley the same size as the small one on the clutch shaft. To reduce a 1725RPM to spinning speed the setup would be approximately motor 2" pulley to a 4" on the clutch shaft, from the 2" on the bottom of the clutch shaft to the 4" on the spin basket shaft. This would give you approx 430RPM. I never run the basket at full speed so as not to blow out a frame but adjust the clutch thumb screw to what I think is around 275 to 300RPM. I start my spin at a low speed,maybe 100/125RPM to reduce weight on one side of the frame--then turn the frame and run it up slowly up to about 300RPM --then turn frame and run it up slowly to about 300RPM to finnish. I have only blown out one frame since I started and this was only because I forgot to turn the frame before bring up to faster speed.

Hope this helps--sorry for being so long winded

Jack

"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

Offline GTBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:46:17 pm »
Thanks Jack.
It is indeed a two belt system with a thumb screw clutch.  I actually didn't know that the thumb screw was a clutch but thought you could probably use it that way.  Thanks again for the info.  I should be able to find a motor fairly easily.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:21:33 pm »
the clutch on mine works by turning a wing nut, heres some examples of motors  Walter T Kelly sales,,...

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=144
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic