Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chicken Beak  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Chicken Beak
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:23 am »
One of the hens has a beak best described as looking like fingers crossed. The upper beak hangs to the left side of the lower beak and extends down below the lower beak a bit, and this makes the lower beak extend forward more. Cross your fingers, that's what it looks like. Can this continue to grow like that and does something need to be done?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Chicken Beak
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:19:41 pm »
The best cure is to let her soak in a pot of dumplings. :-D

I had some chicks hatch out like that and they seemed to manage just fine.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Chicken Beak
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:26:20 pm »
I have a 5 month old hen like that.
It started with a very slight cross beak and became progressively worse as she got older.
Her's is pretty severe but she does well here.
She climbs into the food bin to eat because she cannot eat out of the rim with her beak the way it is.
I see her peck at the ground but I do not know what or how much she is getting out of it.
I feed all of my chickens yogurt once a week and she seems to use her tongue alot to eat stuff like that.
I love this girl she is the absolute sweetest of all the hens I have ever had.
She comes running to me when she sees me coming and if I lean over to fill up the water or whatever she jumps up onto my back to climb up to my shoulder.
She gets along with all the other hens and no one picks on her in any way.
I know that alot of people will automatically put them down for having cross beaks but in my flock if they can survive fine then I just let them be.
It isn't hurting anyone and she is not suffering so it is what it is.
I have heard some say that the chickens will starve to death if it gets severe which I am sure can happen but addie's is pretty severe and she gets along fine without me doing anything really special for her.
Around here I always leave out those galvanized pans (I get them for a couple of bucks at walmart in the dog section) full of water for the dogs and chickens to share when they are out in the yard so it may be easier for her to drink out of those but I know that she also drinks out of the regular chicken waterer.
As I said she likes to climb into the feeder to eat since the rim is too narrow for her to eat out of.
Sometimes when I am filling up the feeder I will take handfuls of the crumbles and toss it on a stump in the yard where they congregate so she can eat out of the pile or I will throw some into one of those pans but I don't really have to go out of my way for her.
I thought I did in the beginning and was filling dishes for her but then I saw her doing her own thing so I  decided to let her be but will keep an eye on things and adjust what I need to do around her needs.
I have no problem making things easier for her if need be, it would be a matter of keeping the pans filled with water and layer crumbles.
I have always used crumbles and not pellets so there wasn't any issue with that,if you use pellets your chicken will need crumbles.
I know that all of my chickens love to eat hot mash on cold days but she especially enjoys it, I assume its easier for her to eat as well.
I feed them yogurt once a week for their gut health as well and she seems to like that.

I can't tell you what to do but my experience has not been bad. At the most you may have to use pans to feed and water her. At the least, she needs no extra care and can fend for herself.
I guess you can just keep an eye on her and see how she does and then decide what to do.   

anything