Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cost of bee this year  (Read 6608 times)

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
cost of bee this year
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:53:13 am »
how much r u paying 4 bees this year. got mine from gobb 4 $58.00 for a 3# pack, someone said they paid over $100.00 for a 3# pack this year :(

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
cost of bee this year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:05:07 am »
I was quoted $67 for a 3# package
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 04:19:46 pm »
I am starting my first hive and I ordered 3lbs pack w/queen back in Nov. I think it was around $59.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
cost of bee this year
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 05:00:38 pm »
It is always sad when we need to start calculating the cost of bees - I think the bee farmers are getting wealthy from the sad shape our hairy little friends are in and even the farms can't keep up with production estimates - which is always under estimated by us.

I've been lucky, this is year 3 with these bees and I hope I have survivable colonies. Shame on me though, I could have easily built up honey this season and did very little with the bees except observe them.

No doubt, keeping a mindful eye on them and constantly pushing them to build up stores is the number one way to increase your hives life expectancy. Medication of course often becomes necessary too, but (just like giving people anti-biotics) you need to be sure your bees NEED medications before treating or you can cause resistive strains and generations who have no way to fight the dozens of threats a hive has to endure.

I'm not looking at prices, I'm affraid I'll jinx my hives. I know that usually means late season ordering, but I'd rather put my faith in the two colonies here at Beemaster Central than start shopping for bees knowing mine are cleansing this week :)

Good luck to everyone, I'm seeing temps in the low 50s/high 40s in my area (New Jersey) for about a week - that surely will give me a few extra days of food/fuel at the end of the season. It is extended long early Springs that usually kill off hives, they simple are house-bound with little to no food left for thermal reactive body climating (TRBC - my own term) and they drop like flies even though they are healthy otherwise.

I hope Spring comes quick and all blooms are on schedule - if THAT happens, bees are often WELL ON THEIR WAY to another survivable season in the yard. Good luck.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:17:26 pm »
I ordered two packages directly from the breeder I received bees from last year (skipping the middleman) at $57 each, plus queen marking and shipping.  They're for insurance, mainly.

My six hives seemed pretty strong going into the cold weather (even the two late summer splits), and they stored away plenty of syrup.  Plus I did menthol treatments and oxalic vapor and put a sugar board on top of each.  I haven't seen much flying though, but that's not really surprising.  We haven't had weather quite as warm in our area like you've been having, John -- mostly no more than the mid 40s, if that.  And I've been away from the house most days for the past few weeks too (working and traveling), so I'm not around much to check them in the mid-afternoon.  Those in the field yesterday told me there were some flying, though.

I also had a bit of a skunk problem.  It tore the black paper on front of one hive and started gnawing at the rear bottom of another hive box where the SBB tray slides in.  I braced up the chewed section with a piece of 2X4 and haven't seen any more problem.

My thinking is that a couple package will insure that even if all the hives die (I hope not), I'll still have a couple to work with this spring.  When they survive though     :D  , I'll have a couple more to work with!  And after I split a few . . .   well, I've been working evenings in the woodshop, too.

-- Kris

Offline latebee

• House Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 11:06:03 pm »
Well this year I will depart from the norm and try some Carnis. Was able to find a gentleman in NY who will be selling nucs in mid May for $60.00 plus deposit. Price is really not the only consideration,the challenge of a new race just excites me! BTW 3# pacages of Italians were quoted at $57.00 if I picked them up from a pollinator nearby who gets them from Georgia by  the truckload.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 12:10:34 am »
I have been planning to split my colonies, and pick up 10 more packages.  A small expansion is the plan.  Of my 16 colonies, 1 looks to be failing.  Still bees in there, but they are weak.  The others are putting alot of bees in the air on days the temps get above 40 and there is no wind.
My package bees come from Kohnen, and they have not listed a price for 2006 yet.  I don't have a clue what they will be, but I expect a sharpe increase from the $37 per 3 lbs package over last year.
The demand for packages and queens is already outstripping the market.  Get ready for some huge increases.... and learn to raise some queens.

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
cost of bee this year
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 01:15:16 pm »
I am paying $60 for a 3 lb package.
And $2.00 to add a marked queen.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Colorado Beekeeper

• New Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 03:17:36 pm »
where are you geting those mike?
Kenneth Lowry

• New Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 03:18:02 pm »
the bee's I mean
 :lol:
Kenneth Lowry

Offline mat

• House Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 03:48:54 pm »
Leominsterbeeman, where do you buy your's? Lagrant's wants $120, with 4 frames of brood, though.
mat

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 04:11:55 pm »
Quote from: mat
Leominsterbeeman, where do you buy your's? Lagrant's wants $120, with 4 frames of brood, though.

That offer is much more better than 3 lb mere (?) bees.  When 4 frames brood emerge you have soon one full box bees.  

3 lb bees can occupy half Langstroth. It takes one month to get 4 frames brood. That is difference.

Offline mat

• House Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:26:54 pm »
You're right, and I'm gonna buy tree this spring.
mat

Offline Jay

• House Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 07:41:58 pm »
Mat,
I bought a nuc from Lagrant's last year and it was both beautiful and productive! I got 75 lbs. of honey from it this fall and the bees were gentle and seem to be overwintering very well.

Finnman hit the nail square on the head when he stated the difference between a nuc and a package of bees. You are much further ahead with a nuc because in essence you have bought a small hive of bees. A laying queen, four drawn frames of comb filled with emerging brood and honey and pollen. With a package you get a box with 3 lbs. of bees in it. Now they need to set up house in the hive you provide. It's kinda like the difference between moving into a furnished house with three kids, or driveng up to a building site with a pile of lumber and a wife pregnant with triplets!

You get what you pay for! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline mat

• House Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 08:13:52 pm »
Jay, that's great comparison. I am buying definitly. Actually I've  just received the order form in my today's mail. Thank you.
mat

• New Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 09:45:39 pm »
this summer wiil be  my first season so I'm just starting
Kenneth Lowry

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
cost of bee this year
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 11:52:25 pm »
I bought a nuc from Lagrant's last year also.  It was booming all year. I took about 65 pounds of honey in August and they managed to store 10 deep frames of honey after that for themselves. And they were started on all foundation, no drawn comb at all.  Definitely worth the money. Frank is a good guy too, if you have any problems or questions, he's a phone call away.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 04:07:38 am »
I ordered three 3# packages of Russians with queens and prepaid $62.00 each package.  (Now if I can just get my woodware built I'll be set)
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Nucs
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 09:33:42 pm »
four frames bees and brood with accessories are going to be $ 65.00 for me come April??? with Russian queen.

Queens will be $ 10.00 per.

Advantages of living in the po south :lol:

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
cost of bee this year
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 03:18:33 am »
You have very cheap prices there. In May we have to pay 30 $ from queen. One box colony is about 250 $.

But you do not want  get honey with those bees. You just keep them,  :P