Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much honey for winter?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
How much honey for winter?
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:00:03 pm »
Hi all,
   Searches are mot providing what I need so I am starting this post.

I know that the bees need about 60lbs of honey stored for winter in New Jersey

I run all mediums.  Each hive has 3 brood boxes (still solid packed brood pattern which is surprising me).  I also have 1 honey super (medium) which is still being filled and capped.  

There is not enough on the 3 brood chambers yet but I could backfill from the super to get there.  Is there a problem with just leaving the Honey super on for the winter and letting them manage it themselves? The hives are still packed with bees and the nights are down on the low 60s now

Thanks
Chris in nj

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
Not far away, over in Delaware
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »
I too keep all mediums.  The usual winter configuration for me is three medium 8 frame boxes, with one of those being all honey.  I see no problem going into winter four boxes tall as long as the hive is strong.  Sounds like your hives are strong with three boxes of brood.

My concern would be that when that brood hatches they will go through the stores quickly, and there is not much out there to forage.  Frankly one box of not yet capped honey at this time of year is light.  My thought would be to feed, if you are not doing so already. With the weather still relatively warm the hives should be able to put some weight on in the next few weeks. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: How much honey for winter?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:21:19 pm »
Put the 2 to 1 on . 1 to 1 may keep them rearing brood.They should start backfilling the brood nest as it hatches out.

anything