Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Excited Just got a call to remove a hive in the hollow of a Tree.  (Read 19526 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Excited Just got a call to remove a hive in the hollow of a Tree.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 09:49:34 am »
Angi, whew!!!!  That is scarey stuff, all I can say is go, girl, go, you are an amazing woman, and I can't wait to hear how things turned out for you.  You have got the guts of something else in this world, I love that adventuresome part of the human being.  Wishing you all the luck that I can muster, and that is a lot of wonderful and great wishes, hee, hee  :) :) :)  Have an awesome and wonderful day on our earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 12:30:40 am »
Well tomorrow is the day. We reserved a ladder and we are going late afternoon. I will take the camera up the ladder with me. I am crossing my fingers and hoping. Well for the last 3 days we have almost hit 70 degrees. But chilly at night. There was flights going on when we were there taking pictures and trying to figure out a plan of attack. I am going to give him a stack of business cards as well. As last year his mom had a swarm in one of her bushes they called a beek who came out. I am not charging yet as I dont even have my bees. And he said he would not have called if he would not have found someone to do it for free.  And who also wanted the bees to save them. So cross your all fingers and wish me luck. As I will need it. I am also using a climbing harness.

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 01:38:43 am »
See if you can put out a swarm trap, it seems they have bees often. Get you a good swarm, Good luck with the tree, and be careful up there.

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 10:41:46 am »
Angi, your adventure is beginning probably in a few hours time from now, we will hear your stories probably tomorrow morning.  Now that will make for some interesting reading for when I arise, bright and early.  Best of luck again said, enjoy this day, and be so careful, girl.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 03:38:19 am »
Ok Just a quick recap. I got about 3 foot long comb pieces with brood, capped and uncapped and eggs and some smaller pieces with honey and pollen. I could not reach down far enough to get the rest. It was dark but I had a head lamp. Went by dadants to go and get the cardboard nucs and syrup and pick up my pollen trap they forgot. They had not gotten them in yet. So I had to take the big nuc box with me. I put the brood comb and what bees I got in the nuc rubber banded om frames. I placed a 4%pollen bee pro patty half of one because it is a nuc or it would have covered the entire top and I had cut a whole on the top for the feed bucket. it is supposed to be 33 degrees in Tulare tonight so I hope they dont get to cold for the amount of bees in there. Half of them are in the nuc and the other half are still in the tree. I screened off the big opening and placed a cone on there so they can go out but not back in. I put the nuc box in the fork of the tree about 10ft down and about 9ft from the ground and tied it into the fork to make it stable. I also placed a bucket of syrup with honey b healty in it on the top of the nuc. So that should draw them in. I also droped drops of lemon grass oil on the tops of the bars and at the entrance to the nuc. I will go by and check them tomorrow and to take back the ladder and climbing harness to the rental place. I told the guy that the box might have to be there for a few weeks or more and he said no problem he is just worried because his daughter is alergic to bees. But he wasnt. He was out watching so was his neighbor. The neighbor wanted to call the news media lol. I said Ummm Not. Not for my first one lol. The honey from them tasted good. The kids ate a few of the comb with honey in it. When we are said and done I will rent the ladder again and remove the screen and cone and see what bees are left if any and then plug the hole with expansion foam to seal them in and to make it so other bees wont build nests there again. I just wished he would have allowed me to cut off that section of the tree. It goes down about 1 1/2 feet down and over to the other part of the fork. and I could not get my hand down far enough or over enough to get the rest of them and the cone. What I did pull out full sections of 1 ft long and it broke at the end. Killed some brood poor things. The hive was very healthy and very calm. They looked like Italians.. lots of gold with black bands thin. I will try to get pictures tomorrow as the light was fading fast. the guy got home late so we had a late time starting. hopefully most will move over to the other new hive in the nuc tomorrow. I had a spray bottle of honey b healthy with sugar syrup mixed according to the directions on the bottle for a spray god that stuff smells great. Tastes good to. The kids were tasting the sugar syrup from dadants and it was cold so it was flowing like maple syrup. Very thick. Do I have to dilute that for spring feeding? If so I will do that tomorrow when I go back over there. Anyway more news to come.

Angi

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 09:09:14 am »
Sounds like you handled things well for the situation.  Not clear from the writing how close you put the nuc to the screen trap, but it sounds like it may be a ways away.   The closer you can get the nuc entrance to the funnel the better (like a foot or less).   Otherwise the flying bees will just cluster on the screen as the scent from the tree hive will be stronger to them than any lure of the nuc.   Their instincts tell them the tree is their nest and unless the lure from the nuc is stong enough by the funnel, they will continue to search for a way back into the tree.

Did you use any smoke?  I take it you did not spot the queen on the comb you retrieved.  I guess time will tell if you got her or not.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 09:40:49 am »
Angi, nice story, sounds like you did really well, my hat off to you.  Have an awesome day, love our life.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 09:52:08 am »
Sounds like you had your hands full, I'm sure you learned a lot. One thing, don't use expansion foam to seal the tree, it doesn't hold up but maybe a yr. Screen the opening and then seal over the screen, go with some type of roof repair product like rolled roofing repair with fibers, this will last a lot longer, yrs in fact.

....JP
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:37:13 pm by JP »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 12:50:04 pm »
Great job Angi_H!  How long did it all take?  Where any pictures taken during the procedure?  The fibered roof stuff (aka plastic roof cement) workes good, you'll need some sort of "backer" to fill the hole, them coat the face of it with the roof patch.  I've used spray foam plenty of times, it's great to fill voids but must be covered with something or as JP says it will break down- the sunlight is what gets it. 

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 12:42:02 am »
I dont know why this thread got moved it is not done yet. Went back yesterday and did the smoke with the honey robber in a little can in the smoker. I drilled a small hole a few inches from what I thought was the bottom of the hive that was there. The drill went through then hit the hollow but still no comb or honey. I put that smoke in the hole and kept smoking as they barreled out. There was so much traffic that I removed the cone and they poured out.  I got down to put more stuff in the smoker when I looked on hubbys back and OMG OMG OMG there was the Queen. Perfict little queen. I had hubby make a quick little holder out of the screen we had left over while I held her in my hands. We had to move the laddar to where the nuc box was in the tree over to where the only spot we could put the nuc the other fork about 5ft down. And I took off the feed bucket  and placed her in the whole and she went down in the nuc. I then noticed a few of the bees starting to fan with there little bee butts in the air. And now we wait. We went back and smoked the rest of the bees out yes there is a little comb and brood that we can not get but we went ahead and filled in the hole with the expansion foam. And filled in the other hole that was starting in the other fork. that is the only stable place it can be stuck that is not 20 ft in the air. And safety wise it could not have been done with out a boom or siccsor lift. I am attaching some photos.  Day 3 will be tuesday afternoon around eve. We really angry them off day 2 with smoking there hive with robber in there. But WE GOT THE QUEEN. And NO Evidence of MITES at all not a single one. So that is very good.

I would have updated last night but I had the flu. I will post that there is an update in the other group And it is not done yet.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 09:25:56 am »
Angi, job well done, you have worked hard, and you have some bees.  Yea!!!!  Have a wonderful, great day, love life.  Cidi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 10:51:04 am »
Angi, it got moved because there is this forum that deals with "honeybee removal" and that is what you were doing, and obviously having some fun while you were doing it.  Have a beautiful day, Cindi

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 10:59:58 pm »
But I thought they did not get removed till they were done that is what I was told before and the other place always has them in there. Then when they are done then they got moved. Just confused. We might have a little rain tomorrow eve and I have to go remove the Nuc. I told the owner to give me a call if the other bees were still clustered on the outside of the tree trunk in the morning. At least I got the queen that was a big deal. There  she was and no mites to boot. That is a god send. Hopefully they are all doing ok. How long do you think I should leave them in the Nuc? I need to remove an empty frame and place a foundation frame but the other frames have brood and honey and pollen in them and they are rubber banded to the empty frames. Let me all know what to do. As I am still learning and I need help and am worried it will be burried here in this forum.

Angi

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:32 am »
 There  she was and no mites to boot. That is a god send. Hopefully they are all doing ok. > I really believe that feral bees don't have major mite issues. They build cells that are smaller than commercial cell. I did one the other day and the bees were small and didn't notice any mites on the adults, but some on larvae in drone brood comb. Don, aka fatbeeman said this was normal, and is a natural way for the bees to deal with varroa.

How long do you think I should leave them in the Nuc? > If your weather is right and you won't be getting any more real cold fronts you can move them whenever you like, as long as they are stong.

I need to remove an empty frame and place a foundation frame but the other frames have brood and honey and pollen in them and they are rubber banded to the empty frames. Let me all know what to do. > Just go in and do it.

As I am still learning and I need help and am worried it will be burried here in this forum. > we won't let this happen.  ;)

....JP

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 01:46:31 am »
Sometimes it takes the mods a while to move things and sometimes the ink isn't even dry before it is moved.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 11:56:01 pm »
Angi H,

You deserve a big hand.  Getting your 1st hive out of a bee tree withou any prior beekeeping experience is nothing short of fantastic.  Now you're a beekeeper for sure and have proved just how much you've soaked up reading the info on this forum.

CLAP, CLAP, CLAP.  Thata Girl!!
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 01:47:08 am »
Well not a success. The lid on syrup feeder cracked dumping half of the thick stickey syrup into the bottom of the nuc. Drowning lots and lots of bees. I could not tell if the queen was in that mess or not. As she must have because even the front of the nuc was all covered in the mess. I am so very bummed. It was leaking a little when it was first put on it but that was until it created its suction. I want to send that lid back to better bee as it should not have cracked just sitting up there10 ft up in the tree in the fork. Ugghhh I am so angry and so mad I worked my butt off getting that hive 20ft up in that tree. Filled in the hole and everything. was gone for 2 days home and boom. 40 miles one way for 4x and renting a ladder and climbing harness. Total of 20.00 and gas and food. uuuuughggghghg. Man i feel like such a failure to those bees and the brood that is now dead in the combs. And I was so looking forward to being able to play with the girls before I got my 4lb package of italians April 11th.  How can I blame my self though if it was an equipment failure?  I knew it was a long shot for my first time but I did not expect to get this far and then have it blow up in my face by the dang syrup container lid cracking. It cracked from where they drilled out the whole for the screened feeder plug going to the outside about 3inches. If it would have been on the lid before I put it up I would have grabbed the other bucket. Maybe I will call better bee tomorrow. I have to find my order slip first.

Angi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 01:54:01 am »
I've found with the plastic feeder buckets that it is necessary to glue the feeder screen into use a few days before use otherwise it has a tendency to pop out  (lose) at unexpected times and drown your bees--but you've already learned that, right?

Sorry about the misfortune and everything else was going so well.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 02:55:18 am »
No it did not pop out it cracked from the center where they cut out the circle to the outside edge. I had glued them in as I was told. And this one just cracked. In a Way I wish it had of popped out then I would have known It was my falt. But no in 2 days it ran a crack from the center out 3 inches.

Angi

anything