Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sheeeeesh..... what a brain fart I mean brain cramp!!  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
Sheeeeesh..... what a brain fart I mean brain cramp!!
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:04:20 pm »
I was on a roll out in the wood shop on a rainy day.... made a couple of medium honey boxes and a bunch of frames for them. Just got through squaring them up and thinking of heading for the house. Then I noticed, I forgot to cut the handles before I assembled them!!  :shock:  Grumble grumble......  :roll:

Moots

Re: Sheeeeesh..... what a brain fart I mean brain cramp!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »
Royall,
I haven't done that one...But I have assembled a box without realizing that I had one of the handles facing the inside of the box.  :( Grrr....Frustrating!

Although, I must admit, even that wasn't quite as much of a pee'r as firing a staple through my finger...OUCH!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
hardware store.  drawer handles.  don't forget next time   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:04 pm »
@ Moots: Yeah, done that too!! I just cut another on the other side if the panel. Looks a bit funny but it worked... Nails and hands don't get along well.. I put an air fired framing nail in my hand last December! OUCH!

@ Kathyp: I'm a slower learner..... as I told Moots, did it before and at least I can jig it up and still get it done... just a little more time consuming to do it in the wrong order. LOL

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
Oh, jeez!

I moved away from the recessed handles and started using 3/4 x 1" strip of wood as the handle. Makes lifting a full box a lot easier on my hands and wrists as the whole box can rest on my forearms.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Back when I made my own boxes I alway cut the recessed handhold after the where assemble.  Give you more to hold on to and keeps you fingers farther awalt from the table saw blade.   When building my house 9 years ago my buddy shot a 2" crown staple threw his boot and big toe fastening himself securely to the floor

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »
Staple in the big toe... OUCH!!! I think I would have been crying at that point!!

After this little set back of forgetting the fancy hand holds, I decided to start doing what I seen Don (The Fat Bee Man) on you tube do. When I've got the dado stack mounted in the saw for doing the rabbets on the end board, I'll just cut a 6" long, by 7/8" wide, by 1/2" deep groove into each side. I tried it on some scrap and found that I gave a good purchase even with leather gloves on. A lot faster than setting up and making the "D" grips with a jig and circular saw. I thought about adding cleats but I like the cleaner look of the hive without them.  May change my mind at some point... never know! LOL

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:35:41 pm »
Royall,
I haven't done that one...But I have assembled a box without realizing that I had one of the handles facing the inside of the box.  :( Grrr....Frustrating!

Although, I must admit, even that wasn't quite as much of a pee'r as firing a staple through my finger...OUCH!

Thank God I'm not the only one to do this!!!!!!!!!!!
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:37 am »
Practice cutting a handhold with DADO this summer resulted in 14 stitches and a couple thousand dollars med. bill. :-x  Watch out for kickback, it happens!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:45:21 am »
Practice cutting a handhold with DADO this summer resulted in 14 stitches and a couple thousand dollars med. bill. :-x  Watch out for kickback, it happens!
This was my experience with dado handholds also.  As I ststed above I cut them in preassembled boxes and the kick back hit me in the chin.  Knocked me off my feet and broke my glasses.   Didn't need 14 stiches but did get about 1/2 doz in my chin. 

Moots

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:49 am »
Royall,

Thank God I'm not the only one to do this!!!!!!!!!!!

ggileau,
So, which one have you done?....The inward facing handhold, or the staple through the finger, or both!  :-D

The only thing I can say in my defense is that to date, I've only done each one time.  :laugh:  So, at least I can argue I'm trainable.  :-D

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »
The jig I use to make recessed hive handles will take the boxes put together also.
Hive Handles using a drill press jig
It is the safest way I've seen to make exact, handles that are consistant.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »
err... yeah...  A framing nail.. hit a knot, came out the side and went right up under my fingernail all the way to the knuckle..  the worst part about that isnt really when it goes in, because its REALLY fast.. its the little wire that is tacked to the nail that creates a barb when it goes in so it doesnt want to come back off....  going in hurt, but I nearly peed when I had to yank my finger off... cell phone was on the bench, and the wall was assembled so I couldnt carry it with me... Only one choice...  best advice I have???  Dont nail studs together when you have to pee....

Just posted in the other thread about using a router for handholds.. I really need to invest in a camera so i can get pictures...
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Johnny B

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 06:10:38 am »

I lost the end of a finger cutting the last few hand holds with a dado. I was holding the board down when it kicked. Once a dado gets to a finger there's nothing left to sew back on. Makes for some pretty expensive hives. Now, even though they don't look great, I use external cleats.

anything