Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the bee book  (Read 3471 times)

Offline tina

• House Bee
the bee book
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:24:48 pm »
has anyone read The Bee Book Beekeeping in Australia  it's put out by the DPI    is it worth buying    I'm wanting a very simple  text for a backyardist  with the tropical climate in mind

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
Re: the bee book
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:14:47 am »
I think it's pretty good but very basic and to the point.  Get it out from your local library first to see if you like it.

malachii

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:48:19 am »
thanks  i have to order it from the state library the library here is pretty basic

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:01:58 am »
I found it a pretty good book to read when I started,and to refer back to.  I have to return this one to the owner now though.  It has a good section on chemicals around bees.  In fact, I looked up your query about Aerogard (diethyl toluamide), and the code says "Information unavailable at the time of printing", haha. 
Anyway, you might not have too many choices on banana bender beekeeping books.
Lone

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »
if we didn't coat ourselves in diethyl toluamide we wouldn't get outside    aerogard sounds so harmless    i think it covers stress hormone smell   my son won't let me smoke his hive just sugar water   the bees are fine its just when i look in the brood box and there's only 9 frames instead of 10   and burr comb everywhere and he says what's this? should that be there? what are they doing? and of course i have no idea   the books and videos make it so easy looking    but the reality is much different   so aerogard covers up my panic hormone

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:31:19 am »
Tina, 

I use the Bee Book as a constant reference.  The authors are experts in their field and any beginner would be well advised to read this book prior to, or while starting out with bees.  Just buy it. It is the most up to date beekeeping text available for Australian conditions. 

I gain a great amount of information from this & other forums however you should be wary of getting all of your advice from the internet.  Some of the people advising you may not know their a**e from their elbow.

Tina, there is nothing wrong with using a bit of smoke on your bees.  It has worked for thousands of years.  You may have a gentle hive at the moment however some smoke puffed into the entrance makes working with bees a much more pleasant experience for the beekeeper & the bees.

Happy beekeeping.

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:01:26 am »
thanks for the advice    i've ordered the book