Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Standard Blue cochin chicks, I AM off my rocker!!!  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Standard Blue cochin chicks, I AM off my rocker!!!
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »
Oh brother, spring has sprung, and along with spring is the fever to mother little birds, my bad.

Over the weekend I had a chance to get some two month old standard sized blue cochin chicks.  The age of these chicks is two months and they are displaying their gender.  There is 6 poulets and 10 cockerals.  I will keep 3 poulets and 1 cockeral, my girlfriend wants the other three poulets and two cockerals.  That is 7 of the blinking little boys that will need homes.  The price of the chicks was very reasonable so I felt justified to purchase them.

Well, bust my britches.  When I saw these little girls and boys, I fell in love with them.  They came from a woman who had raised these in beautiful and clean surroundings, I felt great about taking them home.  These are very friendly, cute, happy, and make ya laugh.  They look like little birds wearing bell bottom blue jeans.  You'll get a kick out of the pictures. 

Where we will be moving to will be in a dry country, there will not be the wintertime muck as we have here.  They are winter hardy, love to mother and foster other babies, I am happy.  Have that wonderful, most great and awesome day, health and life.  Cindi

This shows the difference in size between the two genders, the male obviously being the larger.

Two of the hens are lighter in colour than the other cochins

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Standard Blue cochin chicks, I AM off my rocker!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:14:17 am »
Cindi, Cochins are great!
 I have the standard blue cochins as well, just like yours and everyone loves them.
They are a very mellow breed.
I have 2 that are a couple, they walk all over the yard together side by side like little lovebirds.
They never leave eachother for more than a couple of feet and if one stops to peck at something and the other keeps walking you should see them run to catch up to eachother.
Its the sweetest thing I have ever seen with chickens.
You will enjoy them, have fun!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:14:51 am »
Genetically blue comes from what is called a half-black gene.   I have a pigeon that is called cherry blue, slate blue with red checks on the wings.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:36:01 pm »
Cindi
The cochin hens  will make a great mother  hen  they love to sat on eggs

Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:07 am »
Ooops in the coop.  Miscounted, there are 9 boys and 7 girls, that is a better ratio.  These dudes are just so funny to watch, when they run and have a stand off to each other, that really makes me laugh.  They tower above the 6 week old barred rocks, of course they are three weeks older, but regardless, I think they are gonna be a big bird.  Beautiful day to love this groovey life we all live, love and share, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything