Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do You Wear Gloves When You Pull a Frame To Inspect?  (Read 17513 times)

Offline Camp9

• New Bee
    • www.threefoldvine.com
Re: Do You Wear Gloves When You Pull a Frame To Inspect?
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:55 am »
No gloves, no veil when installing packages or nucs, veil most of the time for inspections or honey harvest. 

Camp
As much as I love this life, there are days I looks forward to the next

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:35 am »
I wouldn't think of working in my apiary without a veil, nothing else though.

A veil and nothing else?  :shock:

Bob  :-D

She does that to impress her husband!!! :-D

Hee, hee, haw, haw, oops, guess I missed out some words here, the female gender on our forum would have known what I meant.  Bad boys.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
...JP
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 11:58:44 am »
Full suit for hive manipulations, installs, and when I have to cut the grass in there.  I am allergic, so I get a pass on the 'sissy' stuff.  ;)  Otherwise, I can sit and watch them with nothing other than my sunglasses on.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 09:04:45 am »
  Otherwise, I can sit and watch them with nothing other than my sunglasses on.

Daddys Girl, watch out, you're gonna get teased too by those boys!!!  ;) :) :) :)  Have the most beautiful and wonderful of these days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 05:29:03 pm »
I wear my full suit and gloves and nothing else

Think about that one!!!!!

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 07:13:17 pm »
Not good if the bees find a small tear and you have to get out of the suit quickly.  :-D
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 12:07:25 am »
Ha! Ha!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 11:13:13 am »
Annette, oh yep, yep, you are a hoot and a hollar, and yep, yep, you make me laugh!!!  Have that great and wonderful day, still thinking about what you said, hee, hee.  Cindi

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:04 pm »
No gloves, no veil most of the time. Easy does it, slow and steady but have the veil handy if they start getting cranky. Yes, have been stung lots of times.
God bless Us all!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 10:38:35 am »
I have never seen this talked about but I have thought that the bees don't mind our hands and fingers next to them because we are so warm. I often imagine my fingers are just other bees as I am working right amongst them, I could be dead wrong but I sometimes think the bees react to my fingers like they are in fact other bees.

Sometimes bees will fly down and just about light on my hands and then back away, I believe they sense the warmth.

I really believe they accept my fingers next to them as they were bees them selves.

And as long as you don't make any fast, abrupt motions, they seem fine with the intrusion.

Yes, you will get some stings, now and again, you will get a hot hive, that is out of control and just don't want to mind their manners, but most that I deal with, put up with the intrusion nicely.

My .02.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 10:58:27 am »
JP, wow!!!  Now that deserves some attention in the thinking department.  I wonder if this may be true, it certainly seems a plausible thing.  Now, do an experiment.  Put a bucket of ice near the bees, plunge your hands into it and get them really really cold.  Then work the bees.  I wanna hear the results.....if you don't, I bet someone else will.  Are you, like a "thinkin' man" or something, just like Brendan is the "travellin' man?"  Beautiful and most wonderful day, happy days.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2008, 11:10:50 am »
JP, wow!!!  Now that deserves some attention in the thinking department.  I wonder if this may be true, it certainly seems a plausible thing.  Now, do an experiment.  Put a bucket of ice near the bees, plunge your hands into it and get them really really cold.  Then work the bees.  I wanna hear the results.....if you don't, I bet someone else will.  Are you, like a "thinkin' man" or something, just like Brendan is the "travellin' man?"  Beautiful and most wonderful day, happy days.  Cindi

Cindi, I haven't really put this hypothesis to that much thought really, it just seems so in my dealings with bees, that I am able to remove a section of comb with my bare hands, over and again without most colonies becoming upset with my fingers right next to them while they are on the combs.

It just makes sense, why else would they allow my fingers right next to them and btw, they are often on my hands and fingers as if they were in fact other bees, just working away, oblivious and quite accepting of the intrusion.

My gut tells me its a temperature thing.

Now, since you brought up the idea of a test, let me know how it turns out, and by all means, do take lots of before and after pictures!! :-D :-D :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
A Study in Contrasts
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 01:24:26 pm »
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5106409524033235587

It is about 50 minutes long, and is of the Lusbys working their hives.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5280305518683878361&hl=en-GB

PJ Chandler transferring a swarm to a TBH from a top bar skep.

http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/metafiles/02000018960220000000_lo.asx

A woman working commercial hives, sans gloves and veil.

I have my TBH set up so I can look inside without disturbing the bees.  The only reason I have to open the hive right now is to pull the queen cage in a few days, and I'll probably contract the brood area as well. 

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »
JP, my instinct tells me that the bees do not bother with you because of the energy they feel from you. If you are calm, peaceful and loving towards them, then they accept this intrusion.  I know when I am feeling nervous around them, they are all over my gloves trying to sting me.

The warmth thing could be possible too.

Take Care
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2008, 12:52:09 am »
JP, my instinct tells me that the bees do not bother with you because of the energy they feel from you. If you are calm, peaceful and loving towards them, then they accept this intrusion.  I know when I am feeling nervous around them, they are all over my gloves trying to sting me.

The warmth thing could be possible too.

Take Care
Annette

Sorry Annette its the warmth thing. Just kidding, it could be both, next time in I'll ask! :-D

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2008, 10:30:51 am »
Daddys Girl.  Nice links, I will look at the almost one hour long video another time, it looks like a good watch.

Something I don't get here and maybe will be explained by one of the Moderators, is how did your reply to the post get a different topic name than what the original name was "do you wear gloves when you pull a frame to inspect", yours was entitled"a study in contrasts",  a different topic title.  Weird.  Have that beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
for Cindi
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2008, 11:13:19 am »
Cindi, when you reply to a post, you have the option to erase the subject and put in a different title.

Brenda

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Brenda
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 11:28:19 am »
Brenda, yes, girl, I see what you mean, I find it a little strange, but that is OK, we are all learning, and I learn many new things each day, have the best of this wonderful and great day, Cindi

anything