Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beeswax weight  (Read 22553 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
Beeswax weight
« on: December 14, 2006, 02:29:57 pm »
I know this is an off topic.  But I plan on using some of my beeswax to make some homeade gifts.  The recipes call for Beeswax in ounces.  Can anyone tell me what the conversion would be to say... cups.  So like how many cups/tsp/TBS of beeswax in an OZ.  Thanks.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beeswax weight
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:09:32 pm »
no, but it should be pretty easy to weigh chunks of wax and then melt and measure it.  you'd have to do it a bit at a time, but i think you could get pretty close to an accurate measurement.  you'd only have to do something like 1/4 cup.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:26:37 am »
Hello my name is Chef Mick. A "cup" is usually 250ml or umm 250gm which is umm 250/27 call it 8-10 ounces per cup. A TBS I think is 8 teaspoons, a teaspoon is 5gms so 40gms to the TBS, call it just over an ounce to the TBS and you will be pretty close.

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:38:15 am »
Could you write out the conversion factors and stuff?  I don't remember them...
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 03:23:29 am »
Im not sure what you are asking, but this site might be helpful.
http://convert.french-property.co.uk/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 10:53:16 am »
Just a quick re-cap, don't know all that much about measurements, etc., but do know a little.  I know that the specific gravity of honey is 1.5, water of course is 1.0.  When I used to measure fertilizers in my greenhouse for the seedlings, it would always call for grams.  Now I have a problem with measuring things by weight everytime I wanted to do something.  So I initially found out the weight of different chemicals.  It was surprising how many have different weights per volume.  It became very confusing, but finally I got it down pat.  But I had to indicate on different packages of chemicals what the volume by weight was.  It helped and they were all slightly different.

So getting to the point of weight per volume, you have to figure out the "weight" of the wax first, then the volume it takes up.  Keep a permanent record then you will never have to recalculate.  Hope something I said made sense.  Or go to the sites that were listed in previous posts, it probably has a real simple way there.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:40:25 pm »
A pint of beeswax weighs SLIGHTLY less than a pound.  So a cup weighs slightly less than 1/2 pound.

"A pint's a pound the world around." works for water, beeswax, motor oil, gear lube, sugar...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything