Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: i want chickens  (Read 6132 times)

Offline the bee boy

• New Bee
  • "PLEASE, just ONE more cookie?!!!!"
i want chickens
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:50:19 pm »
hey everybody! my bees are doing good but i am going to put a beetle swatter trap with checkmite+ in it.
anyway, i want to raise a chicken! i am going to get one female at our local feed store. i am going to get an old dog house, prop up a stick in there and make a nest box.and i will just use some stakes an some old tomato cagesfor a run. what do you guys think? thanks!! :catchchick:

clayton moore
"when life gives you lemons, squirt them in your enemy's eyes!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: i want chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:19:33 pm »
clayton, I just started keeping them myself & they are interesting creatures to say the least. You need more than one as they are social animals, I would suggest at least two, but even more is better.

They need at least 4sq' of space in a coop to be comfortable. Chickens love to free range, they were meant to IMO. Let them out in the morning and give them a safe run, (safe from hawks, dogs, cats, fox, etc...)

They will make you happy, very happy, nothing better than chicken tv!

One thing to consider, their poo is large & they make lots & lots of it, so plan ahead with what you'll do with the poop. Research chicken tractors.

Composting & also deep litter method are good options for the poo.

Best of luck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »
Yes chickens are flock animals and as such need to be in a flock. I personally would not recommend getting less than 6 chickens but if pushed I would say 4.
Not only do they need eachother for company, they huddle together for warmth.
Chickens have a special dynamics to their flock, a social order. You need more than one chicken to do that, you need more than two chickens to do that.
I started out my flock with 12 chickens and added more shortly after.
Don't be surprised if she never lays a single egg, hens that are depressed or stressed will not lay, some will not eat and then eventually just give up and die.
Before it gets to that point they usually turn nasty on you, not much of a pet then.
The only people I have ever heard of that raised a single chicken and it lived were the ones that had house chickens, yes a chicken that they raised in the house like a dog. Personally I think its disgusting but hey whatever, but the only reason why the hen was okay was because it was around people all the time, not left outside alone.
I would be very surprised if a feedstore would even sell you one chick, all the ones around here have a policy of no less than 6 and for the reason I described above.
Ever see on chick all alone in a brooder cage chirping over and over because its lonely?
I see people all the time on the chicken forums asking for help because they have one chick survive out of a hatch and they don't know what to do because its screeching, won't eat or drink etc. because its so lonely.
The advice given is always the same, get more chicks for it, they need friends.
Aside from all that, I don't know how you would make a decent safe run out of tomato cages but keep in mind that predators can burrow under anything that is not in the ground a couple of feet deep and if you don't have a roof on it you can expect a problem with hawks or if you have chicks then even crows will be a problem.
Also, the weather is not right for chicks right now. You need to keep them in a brooder for a few weeks inside the house or a garage that is warm enough for them before they can go out.
If you get some now then you should be putting them outside by late feb/early march, which is still pretty cool for a young pullet. That is the reason many people don't do them this time of year.
Keep in mind that you will also need a brooder, with lights and feeding dish and waterer before you ever need a coop.
Chicks do not go right into a coop, make sure your parents are okay having chickens in the house for a while.
Do you know if you need a permit to raise poultry in your town?
Many people do, myself included. If you get chickens without a permit and you are suppose to have one the town will force you to get rid of them.
Even in the country where people assume they can do whatever they want alot of people are shocked to find out that a neighbor reported them, the town or city comes out and gives you 30 days to get rid of all of them. Call your local board of health or animal control officer to find out if you need a poultry license before you do anything.
See if your parents will help you build a proper coop, it does not have to be large and expensive but it should be safe and comfortable for the hens.
I know you are excited to get chickens and I hate to be a drag but please give this alot more thought.
Take it from someone who has alot of experience raising and breeding chickens, there is alot to consider and you need to be fair to the chickens and yourself, you will have alot of headaches if you do not prepare for them appropriately.
That said, I do hope that you can go about it in the right way and eventually get your chickens, they are a great deal of fun and you can't beat having fresh eggs.

Offline the bee boy

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »
the only thing i MIGHT do differently is MABEY get two. that's all

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:31:27 pm »
Whatever  :roll:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:47:29 pm »
the only thing i MIGHT do differently is MABEY get two. that's all

I am friends with a very nice couple who have two Buff Orpingtons. B.O.s are for the most part very nice & gentle birds at least the hens are, from just about everything I've heard. I have two B.O.'s as well & they are the sweetest, most gentle hens of my eight.

Best of luck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:47 am »
Hey BeeBoy--I challenge you to get 2 and see if you can keep it at 2 :D Chicken keeping is as much an addiction as beekeeping. We started with around 20 and now have more than 80, plus turkeys and hopefully guinea hens this spring. They are that much fun!

If you want boatloads of info on keeping chickens, pop on over to BackYardChickens.com for more info than you will know what to do with. Really, though, they are quite easy. Definitely easier than bees :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline the bee boy

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
i actualy wanted to have 6 but my mom is going to take some persuadeing to get her to let me have chickens. so i will start with two and then my mom can't say no to another,and another,and another,and..
 :evil:. and i am a member of  backyardchickens.com. i am going to name one of them hedwig(harry potter's owl) and the other pigwidgen (ron weasly's owl).

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:58 pm »
As a mom of a son myself, I'd say you have a good strategy going there :) Plus, if you clean up ALL their mess and she gets to see the beautiful eggs, I'd say you have a great chance of more chickens someday! Have fun :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything