Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen Traps  (Read 10722 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Pollen Traps
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:01:36 am »
Hello all,
   I am looking at various forms of pollen traps and wanted to get an opinion.  Basically I see two types, ones that hang outside the hive and ones that are incorporated into the hive itself.  Thoughts, experiences appreciated.

David   

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
Re: Pollen Traps
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:26:01 am »
hi,

I asked the same question last year and was told the sundance pollen trap which sits on top of the hive and then has a top entrance.  I had tried one of the pollen traps that hang on the outside and it did not work.  I purchased the top pollen trap this year and just put it on a couple of days ago so it is to early to know if it works.

I hope this is of assistance.

Jean

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:45:16 am »
I bought a sundance 2 also this year,  very nice piece of equipment,  although its abit confusing to look at.   I already use top entrances so it will be in lione for me.   My 1 disapointment is that I read about how easy it is to bypass teh screens without removal,  but there were no instructions on how to do that,  and its not intitavly obvious....

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:58:22 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Good information. 

David

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:33:59 pm »
I've had some bottom mount pollen traps, which worked very well.  They do get a bit more debris than the top mount pollen traps, but if you are only harvesting to make pollen patties for spring, that is not too much of an issue.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:44:01 pm »
Indeed that was my idea was to collect for pollen patties.  At some point might collect for other reasons but not now.

David

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 06:03:09 pm »
David, do you think you will save money by collecting your own pollen or get a better product for your patties?  I am thinking on doing the same thing next year.  I will be starting out this year with packages. So I am going to let the girls build up as much as they can this year.

Joan

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 03:17:33 am »
Hello the sundance  2 is about the best pollen trap there is on the market ,  the only disapointment i have is when i recived the order from Better Bee in New York  that there was no instructions with the pollen traps , i emailed Better Bee about the problem they never got back to me , so i called them and talked with them on the phone  they said they would send me some instructions to me for the pollen trap , well that was 2 years ago this spring and i'am still waiting for some instructions for the sundance 2 pollen trap , have a great day     Barney
Barney

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:55:35 am »
Barney,  I just got my  sundace2,  and the instructions.  Your not missing much.   there was no info on how the supposed "bypass" works...  and the only other instruction was it goes on top.....

There is some info on pollen collection in general,  like  collect it daily if possible,  and then freeze it.. as well as general info on pollen collection.

Also,  don't leave it on constantly.... they recomend 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.....  pollen collection takes food away from the hive  which slows its growth.

I think  it was BJORN  here on beemaster who even suggested pellen collection as a method of swarm control as it slows hive development so much.....  (if it wasn't BJORN  my apologies,  it was a great statement though)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 04:37:19 pm »
David, do you think you will save money by collecting your own pollen or get a better product for your patties?  I am thinking on doing the same thing next year.  I will be starting out this year with packages. So I am going to let the girls build up as much as they can this year.

Joan

I'm thinking collecting pollen from my region would be the best for my own use.  As you said I would let your packages collect as much pollen in the first year for brood rearing.  I am attempting queen rearing this year after failed attempts and realized a good pollen source is indeed something to have.  From what everyone has told me, you need to collect pollen from a strong hive. Hopefully this year will be better than last since it rained 3/4 of the time.

David

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:48:03 pm »
What if you had two hive's and you put the trap on one hive one day and the other the next. Would that work and not hurt the hive's that much ?
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »
What if you had two hive's and you put the trap on one hive one day and the other the next. Would that work and not hurt the hive's that much ?

Perhaps a weekly alternation would be less work.  I agree alternating sources is a good thing.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:28:19 am »
A week on, a week off is a good practice after all you don't want to choke off the supply of pollen too much or your brood nest shrinks big time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 05:45:15 am »
Hi,

I had the sundance on for several weeks and only have a few grains of pollen.  Could it be defective? The bees are coming and going from the trap, but I do not see much.  Advice would be appreciated.  I am about ready to give up.