Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees working like crazy since treatment  (Read 2347 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Bees working like crazy since treatment
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:51:23 am »
Hello

Tomarrow will be six days i have had apivar-life on my girls to treat for mites and i have notice that they are working like crazy and more guards are at the front of the entrance and they are not showing slow working activity they were showing at first hive one has always been the go getter and three are working the same as one now and i am not seeing no deformed bees coming from this hive and the pollen they are brining in is crazy and alot of them are falling short of making it to the hive because they are so swollen and heavy. And hive two they are really working way better then they have worked since i have had them it seems the treatment is making them work better then ever they don't seem to be stressed and the smell does not even bother them you can smell the menthol about six feet away.

Tom

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
bees
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:59:56 pm »
maybe they are acting like most of God's creatures when they are on DRUGS
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline tom

• House Bee
I do not use hard chemicals
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:09:57 am »
Hello

I do not use hard chemicals on my hives i stay with being organic and what i use is oils. And if this is the case their weight has increased within the past week and they have well over what they will need to winter on since the bees i have winter in small clusters at least they are not stressed and thier performance has improved greatly.

Tom

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 11:37:34 am »
Perhaps you have experienced what happened up here over the last week or so; the sun came out and the weather had warmed up after abundant rainfall and the bees were apparently able to exploit what appreared to be an abundant, though waning fall flow. Our bees foraged with extreme vigor up until this past weekend when the temp. dropped again. Once again, I am acutely aware of the disadvantages of not having much drawn comb on hand as the bees seemd to devote a lot of resources to building comb that they still haven't completely filled.

With that in mind...does anyone in MD, PA, NJ or VA still feed syrup this late?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:38:16 pm »

Perhaps they are just robbing nabour's hives - like grazy!

Offline tom

• House Bee
I am still feeding syrup
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:46:32 pm »
Hello

Yes i am still feeding syrup as fast as they will take it my third hive is taking in more then the other two. And the temp. here has turned cool also but as soon as it gets warm again i am going to feed them more.

Tom

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:21:18 am »
If you feed bees in autumn they surely "work" like grazy and seek something to rob.