Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally, a real beekeeper  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
Finally, a real beekeeper
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:37:02 am »
Got my first sting last night.   The bees warned me with a lot of bumping, and when I didn't take their warning seriously they decided to take drastic measures.   

We have has so much rain and wind that we had not had an opportunity to replace the baggies on the hives, so yesterday evening we took a chance and even though the wind was picking up, we opened the hive to put the food on.  Well, being new and all, I couldn't resist taking a peek at what progress they were making.  Not a smart thing.  Also, I was wearing thin stretch pants at the time, so it's really my own fault.  After that we opened the second hive and put the baggie on and then quickly closed it up again.  That hive was happier.
Barbara

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Finally, a real beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:53 am »
Congrats!  It's amazing that I haven't been stung yet!  I have checked sugar syrup several times and used the weed-eater to "mow" around the hives and my bees just don't seem to be interested.  Of course, when I REALLY open the hive, I am dressed to the max!  My daughter told me that I look like Marty McFly in the movie, Back to the Future.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline crowhammer

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:10:24 pm »
Ha, I've had bees for a month and have already been stung twice. The first time I opened the hive, no gloves. The guy i bought the hive from didn't use any. Everything was going great until a rogue bee came flying out from between the frames and nailed me on the wrist. Of course I was holding a frame so....
     The next time, I had injudiciously moved my hive 200 yards (another learning experience altogether)  and opened it up expecting them to act like they did when i first got them. Come to find out they're a might more defensive when they've had time to make the hive their home. I got it right in the back of the head as i ran away.
     Does it ever not hurt so bad?!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:11:43 am »
Hint, If at all possible don't work the hives when there is a storm brewing.
Static electricity and wind does affect those little critters.
doak

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:44:48 am »
I don't see any mention of using the smoker.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline crowhammer

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 01:21:14 am »
     I smoked them both times. Did I smoke them correctly? I don't know, I'm new at this. But, honestly I don't think it mattered in one if not both my scenarios. The first time they were as calm as little lambs and everyone was happily going about her business. When, one bee came flying out of the frames, and totally unprovoked I might add, stung me. I was holding a frame about 2 feet above the hive. Had been looking at it for like a minute. Heard an angry buzz, looked down, out it came, BAM!!!
     The second time I smoked them as well, but then proceeded to pound tacks in to the cover and entrance block so I could move it. I'm sure the smoke had some effect, but really I shouldn't be surprised that they were a little angry after i beat on the hive w/ a hammer, threw it into the back of a pick-up, drove up a hill and flung their hive open. 
     Honestly, is there enough smoke for that particular operation?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:40 am »
     I smoked them both times. Did I smoke them correctly? I don't know, I'm new at this. But, honestly I don't think it mattered in one if not both my scenarios. The first time they were as calm as little lambs and everyone was happily going about her business. When, one bee came flying out of the frames, and totally unprovoked I might add, stung me. I was holding a frame about 2 feet above the hive. Had been looking at it for like a minute. Heard an angry buzz, looked down, out it came, BAM!!!
     The second time I smoked them as well, but then proceeded to pound tacks in to the cover and entrance block so I could move it. I'm sure the smoke had some effect, but really I shouldn't be surprised that they were a little angry after i beat on the hive w/ a hammer, threw it into the back of a pick-up, drove up a hill and flung their hive open. 
     Honestly, is there enough smoke for that particular operation?

Yes.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline crowhammer

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:18:02 am »
I have much to learn!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 03:00:44 pm »
Just wait until you get a face hit! 8-)  THEn you will REALLY bee a beek!!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 07:46:55 pm »
Just wait until you get a face hit! 8-)  THEn you will REALLY bee a beek!!

Yeah, I got two face hits this year (nose and chin). That and losing count of how many total times I've been stung were both milestones. I guess the next one is the "dropped super = 100+ stings" milestone, and I'll be perfectly happy to have that one take a long, long time to achieve. :P

Interestingly, my face swells up much less than my inner arm does. Weird.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:44:50 pm »
You tell 'em DVD!!
 Have you noticed how hard they are to lite when smoking bees? :-D (Oh, you guys just knew that was coming, didnt you?)
 Yep,...getting stung is a sure fire method to being confirmed a beekeeper!!
 I started a post here last spring about stings. Search "Sting face" in the forums and get a load of a bunch of us with face stings You'll be laffing for half an hour! :-D...Well, the little feller will make you go "AWwwwww....."
 I did learn just recently how much smoke does make a difference and how much it helps to not get stung
your friend,
john

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 11:02:26 pm »
 Sometimes you also get the guard bee with an attitude. My wife and I like to sit and watch the bees in the evening when we get home. I had one that would make us miserable for almost a week. Just launch off the board and buzz us continuously as soon as we sat down. Finally, I hadn't been set down for 10 seconds when he launched and popped me on my forearm. Watched him coming. No trying to warn us off that time, just the sting.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:59:15 pm »
Oops, The post "Sting face" is gone...Oh well,...I'm sure theres gonna be more sting pictures pretty soon!
your friend,
john

Offline millermann1972

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:37:18 am »
well i went from April of last year to this April with no stings.... got cocky this year got popped about 15 times. the outside rim of the nose is a killer. did a cut out on Saturday and got stung twice on the tip of my ring finger . got home and my finger was swollen up so i told the wife i was going to have cut my wedding ring off because of the swelling. well she got it off without cutting it but it wasn't pretty....lol

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:29 am »
I rarely swell up any more I get so many stings, actually only a few here and there, but consistently, I believe my blood is half bee venom by now. ;)

...JP

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 11:27:01 am »
John,
The post for stingface is here I believe:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,12521.0.html

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 06:52:21 pm »
Thanks buzzbee! Thats the one!
I'll have to save that somehow as my wife always wants company to see it when they come over.
 I cant see my posted pics though. I get the little box with a red X in it.
your friend,
john