Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy Y'all  (Read 3231 times)

Offline BEH

• New Bee
Howdy Y'all
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:16:48 am »
 ;)   My name is Barbra, BEH is simply my initials (not very imaginative I know but seemed like the quickest most stress free option when I was registering).   I am a wife and mother in Norfolk, Virginia. I live very close to Norfolks Botanical Gardens where the Azalea Festivle is held every year. Lots of bee plants, always something blooming.  Although my professional background is mostly office work I have alot of experience with gardening and I love working with animals. My mother was a Master Gardener and nature buff, my older sister is a top Horticulturalist in the area. Some of my earliest memories are of working with them in the garden.  Ever since I was a small child I would delite at the unusual plants and creatures they would bring me as suprises. Most kids asked for candy or dolls, I asked for native plants from my sisters trip to Mexico or that cool new species of Tetra for my fish tank. I have known and loved many different animals over the years, I shant call them pets because they have been members of our family. It is hard to say who has owned who.   
    I am definately a nurturer, be it of humans, animals, plants or insects.
I have wanted honeybees for a long time but it wasnt feasable before this. Now I am finally going to get them!! And I cant wait. Beekeeping is all new to me. I have encouraged natural nests of bumble bees and orchard bees in my garden for years. But that is totally different, they start over fresh every year and their temperment is way different, it has been more observation than anything else. Actually the bumblebees contributed to me finally getting a 'real' hive. Last year my husband disrupted the 'friendly nest' of bumbles in my garden. It was much much larger than any of us suspected. Hundreds of them boiled out, stinging my husband, myself, my son, my dog. Even though we had been stung, after they calmed down, my son and I were curious about the internal working of the nest that had been uncovered. We would look a little bit then run for cover. wait a while, look a little bit and run for cover. I didnt even think about smoke at the time. After seeing how persistent we were with the bumbles, my husband finally caved in and agreed honeybees would be a good thing, and probably much safer.

So here I am, I have been reading and investigating all winter. Spring is almost here and I finally have the money I need to start my honeybee adventure off right.(Even if I am getting a bit of a late start) I am really looking forward to how all the pieces of natures puzzle fit together. The bees, my garden, the fish pond, my family. All playing their part, providing something the other wants or needs. My own small little Eden in the middle of the city. Wish everything could be so peaceful.  :)   

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
Re: Howdy Y'all
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:27:22 am »
WOW definetly a bee person .WELCOME to the world of the beekeepers!!! :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:34:55 am »
Welcome Barbra,  I think you will like this place and fit in well.

I sure the welcoming committee will be here shortly ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:33:13 am »
Welcome Barbra,  I think you will like this place and fit in well.
I sure the welcoming committee will be here shortly ;)

Barbra, here we are!!!  (oops, had to modify the post) I am one of the welcoming committee people.  You see, this forum is a fun place to be and we know each other pretty good.  The comments will yank your giggle chain, you will get some great laughs, just like Rob make me do, that squeeky, sneaky little laugh that I do inside (and I might add a little bit comes out of my mouth, quietly, I don't want to wake up the household, yet, with a roaring laugh, so I hold it in, hee, hee).  Oh brother, I meant to welcome you, I am a rambler, you will find that one out.

So, you have some pretty cool interests.  YOu sound like a twin to many of us on this forum.  I think bees, insects, gardens, food from our gardens all go hand in hand.

Your adventures into the world of apiculture will make you stand with your mouth hangin' open.  You ain't seen nothing yet.  The world of the honeybee is one of the most fascinating fields (ants come a close second I think).  Wait until you get your girls, you will be delighted with every aspect of it.  It shines through that you are a nature lover, and when you work your colonies, enjoy the scents that are present with the colonies and everything else that goes with it, will make your serotonin levels skyrocket.  You will be even a more happier person than you ever thought you could possibly be.

Welcome to this forum, again said.  Ask questions, you will have hundreds and hundreds.....all questions will have answers.  Never think a question does not deserve an answer.  We all were beginning with the study of bees, every one of us, it was not a thing given at birth.  If you do not get an answer to a question that you want, ask it again, tell that you need an answer -- someone will hear you and answers you shall have.  Have a great and wonderful day, love our life we live, our special place on earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »
Welcome to beemaster, look forward to seeing your posts, you have found a good place to learn about bees and other things. You will make friends here. If at any time you ever don't feel like you are welcome here, just contact Cindi, she is the president of the welcoming committe and she will surely give you that welcome feeling.

Sincerely, JP

Hey Cindi  :-*
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:50:56 pm »
Welcome Barbra

As a woman and a new beekeeper, I am sure I can relate well to you. I started my adventure in 2006 and haven't looked back. Here on this forum you will get all the help you need. Just post whatever comes into your mind and we are there for you.

Good Luck
Annette from Placerville California

Offline BEH

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:22:06 pm »
Thank You, Everyone.   I feel truly warmly welcomed!  :)   Looking forward to many future discussions!

Barbra  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:02:03 am »
JP, sometimes you say the nicest things, I like that......best of this great and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:04:03 pm »
JP, sometimes you say the nicest things, I like that......best of this great and beautiful day, Cindi

Yeah Cindi I know, just sometimes.  ;) oh we are so not worthy!!! :-* :-* :-*

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com