Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: EGG Laying Quest.  (Read 1943 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
EGG Laying Quest.
« on: April 16, 2007, 01:58:28 pm »
This past w/e I attended NJ's version of beeks short course. As part of class, we went out to beeyard and opened hives. I was handed a frame of bees. I found queen as it turned out. As I was showing classmates brood, pollen, honey and eggs. All were present. Some capped cells were drones but very few. There were two eggs at the bottom of many cells. They were at the very bottom, not attched to sides and they were coupled together at their ends that were attached to cell bottom. Is this a failing queen? Recently returned virgin now competing w/ egglaying workers? Any thoughts?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: EGG Laying Quest.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:52:34 pm »
It's either a queen that has not enough room to lay or a queen that just started to lay.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:04:19 pm »
Thanx. What will become of those fertilized double egg cells? Will normal brood develop?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:30:25 pm »
Thanx. What will become of those fertilized double egg cells? Will normal brood develop?

When there are two eggs in a cell, the bees will hatch as identical twins and will irritate all the other bees because they will wear identical outfits and act silly all the time.   :-D

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:32:53 pm »
i think that bees will remove one egg/larvae from that cell, yes they're carniverous! :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:38:50 pm »
>What will become of those fertilized double egg cells? Will normal brood develop?

Like Mici says, they will remove one eventually, but they never seem to do it until after they hatch.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin