Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I heard of an oil/essence that bees hate and makes the move on! what is it?  (Read 6371 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if you could help me out - I remember hearing somewhere about a natural scent/essence that bees absolutely detest and causes them to take flight leaving whatever location they've set up a hive in... does anybody know what it is? I know it's not as good as some of the chemicals you can buy in the USA but i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it...

Cheers

Oz

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee Quick is the nice smelling one that is supposed to be nothing but essential oils.  It smells like Benzaldahyde, which is the chemical used to make artificial almond flavoring and used to flavor Maraschino cherries.  I have heard reports that Benaldahyde works in a similar fashion to Bee Quick, but have never tried it myself.

Butyric acid is often used to drive bees out of supers.  It smells like the "essence of vomit".  The bees seem to hate it almost as much as I do... it is sold under the brand names "Bee Go" and "Honey Robber".  Honey Robber smells like cherry flavored vomit...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
 :-P

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.

It smells like the "essence of vomit". 

Can I get that in a candle or maybe in an aerosol? Lol

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
Something like that might be useful for driving a new colony out of someones wall , instead of sending them to the pest control guys.

anything