Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Made a walk thru my beeyards today.  (Read 2103 times)

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Made a walk thru my beeyards today.
« on: January 11, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »
I have 3 beeyards and every hive had bees flying.
It was sunny today and 52 degrees F with a very light wind.
I was concerned because of the bitter cold temps we had a few days ago.
I have open feeders in each yard and I put some sugar syrup with pro health in them.
They jumped on the syrup.
Tomorrow it's suppose to be close to 60 F and sunny so I'm going to check on a few hives I had put candy on.
So far so good.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
Re: Re: Made a walk thru my beeyards today.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »
It was 70 degrees here today. All three of my hives were bringing in some type of gray pollen..I'm really glad they survived the sub-freezing temps we had the other night.

David....

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
Re: Made a walk thru my beeyards today.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:26 pm »
Mine were out flying today during a break in the rain. It was great to see after the drop in temps a couple of days ago! The expected temp for tomorrow is 64 so I thought I would feed them if needed. How do you make the candy?

~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:56 am »
It was fairly warm yesterday and took a look at the hives. I had one that did not survive the arctic blast. I found the cluster split into two places. This hive was very active with evacuation flights and housecleaning in the warm spell before the last cold shot.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:49:23 am »
they were all flying right up until dark.  small orientation flights in front of all the hives around 2 in the afternoon.  i'd sure like to go through and see how much brood is being reared but i'm going to leave them alone for now.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
I have bees flying at all my hives.  Was hoping to get to go threw them yesterday, but it was cloudy and windy.  I didn't have a good flow last year, so I left all the honey they made for them.  Haven't got to go into hives in a good while, down here there are usually a few days most every month you can.  Hoping the best for you all.

Joe

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:44:42 pm »
Mine were out flying today during a break in the rain. It was great to see after the drop in temps a couple of days ago! The expected temp for tomorrow is 64 so I thought I would feed them if needed. How do you make the candy?

~Angie
Here is a candy recipe I use a lot, I will pour it into inner covers, paper plates or wax paper
FONDANT BEE CANDY RECIPE
This recipe is our choice for making a good fondant candy for the bees. We have chosen not to use corn syrup because of GMO and of all the hybridization that the corn plant has gone through. It has been proven not to be beneficial for the bees. Cream of Tarter is excluded for the same reason because it is not beneficial to the bees.
1.   Use 1 part water to 4 parts sugar. 1 cup of sugar weighs 8 ounces.
2.   Add 1/4 tsp. vinegar per pound of sugar.
The vinegar helps to break down the sugar as it cooks and will be evaporated.
3.   Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until boiling begins.
If you try to make the candy without stirring it will yield a transparent gel that will be extremely sticky.
4.   Boil covered for 3 minutes without stirring.
5.   Boil until mixture reaches 234F. Do not go over this temperature since this will cause the mixture to caramelize and will be harmful to the bees.
6.   Remove from heat and allow to cool to 200F. This will cause the candy to have an increased thickness.
7.   Whip with a whisk until whiteness occurs.
8.   Quickly pour onto waxed paper having a towel beneath. Be sure that the towel is not fluffy since it will depress the cake’s width. This method will make a nice cake.
9.   Allow to cool undisturbed.
10.   Remove waxed paper and store each cake in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
The cakes can be handled as plates, but may be a little fudgy. They will be
completely white with whiter areas inside. Tiny crystals will shine from a
broken edge. Place fondant directly over the brood cluster so the bees can have access to it.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:36:39 pm »
Sorry about your hive, Kenny...

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 07:14:27 pm »
Capt44- Thank you for sharing   :)

~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

anything