Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from Virginia  (Read 2948 times)

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
Howdy from Virginia
« on: March 05, 2007, 06:25:41 pm »
I'm Mark, I'm a second grade teacher from near Charlottesville VA.  Just ordered my first package and am getting the hive painted, and the, ahem, bear/skunk barrier constructed (please don't say fence where my wife can hear :-X ).   Quite exciting.  I've been fascinated for years and just decided to go for it.

Well let's see, I also grow most of our own veggies, raise chickens, a dog, a small herd of cats, and one late teenage child.  The veggies and the animals are turning out great.  I'm hoping bees are easier than teenagers. 

This looks like a great place to learn.

Mark

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Howdy from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:13 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping!I think you will find it fascinating as many here have!
An observation hive can be quite an educational item for school kids if you ever get the itch!
Good luck on your new adventure and stop by often and say hi to the gang. You may be interested in trying our text chat forum or the voice chat program"ventrilo". Or just post any questions you may have.
welcome again,Ken

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:18:25 pm »
Welcome to the forums Mark.  I hope you enjoy yourself and find everything you are looking for here.  I have found a lot of info and some really great people here.  Have fun and ask any question that comes to mind. There is also a great search tool that takes you to the archived info.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:20:13 pm »
I have to do a presentation in front of second graders soon. Use those bees as a chance to educate those kids. Welcome aboard.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:52 pm »
Hey Mark..

Good to see someone else from Central VA. I have been struggling to find other beekeepers in the area. What side of Charlottesville are you on?  I am in Louisa County.. Have you joined the Central VA Beekeeping - West group?  or attended their beekeeping class?

Duncan.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:55:31 pm »
Thanks for all the welcomes folks!

Duncan, I'm over on the west side of Ch'ville, in Ivy, but work with a friend on his farm over in Louisa in the summers.  I have joined the CVBA over here and am just about to finish their class.  Seems like a good group of folks.  We'll have to get together some time.

I've thought about doing an observation hive for my school already, but figure I'll see if I can successfully work my own first.  I think my second graders would eat it up though.

Mark

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »
Everyone is on the west side of Charlottesville.. or the east side of Richmond. Seriously, I have been to both CVBA West and CVBA East and found no one in the middle :) yet.  I am also attending the class, so will be there Wednesday..

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:15:06 pm »
Cool, I'll see you there.  Hey if you were at the meeting last Thursday, I was the guy talking about solar/battery fence chargers for my chickens.

Mark

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:44:57 pm »
My wife and I have been to Charlottesville. It is an awesome area.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything